Building the Storch!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The Storch Flies! Lands pretty good, too. :D

It's not the most exciting plane in the world. Almost sedate. I didn't build it for aerobatics, though. Landing practice to follow. Which, believe it or not, I've never done.

I had the battery inside of the powerpod instead of beneath it. Next flight I'm going to have the battery beneath and a little forward and try a 10x45 prop. I'm hoping the battery location fixes my CG problem, and the different prop livens things up a bit. I don't really want it to go fast, just to be a little more fun.

All in all, it's hard to ask for a better maiden flight than that. I'm pretty happy with it. :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

It's not the most exciting plane in the world. Almost sedate. I didn't build it for aerobatics, though. Landing practice to follow. Which, believe it or not, I've never done.

I had the battery inside of the powerpod instead of beneath it. Next flight I'm going to have the battery beneath and a little forward and try a 10x45 prop. I'm hoping the battery location fixes my CG problem, and the different prop livens things up a bit. I don't really want it to go fast, just to be a little more fun.

All in all, it's hard to ask for a better maiden flight than that. I'm pretty happy with it. :)
That was beautiful! Good job on a successful maiden. She looked a bit touchy on the elevator but that makes sense if it was tail heavy. Great landing! I’d recommend next time trying to let it glide in next time and just give it up elevator, don’t force the nose down on the approach. You want the least amount of airspeed so just glide it in. 👍

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

Awesome maiden! If I was listening correctly it sounded like there wasn't much trimming either. It was definitely tail heavy, which is odd cuz mine needed tail weight, and I always carried the battery in the pod not under. All that wing though, really makes for a floaty plane and easy to land, took off in just a few feet as well.

How did the landing gear fair in the end, still in tact?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Awesome maiden! If I was listening correctly it sounded like there wasn't much trimming either. It was definitely tail heavy, which is odd cuz mine needed tail weight, and I always carried the battery in the pod not under. All that wing though, really makes for a floaty plane and easy to land, took off in just a few feet as well.

How did the landing gear fair in the end, still in tact?
Oh yeah. It's built out of FT's "Thick Landing Gear Wire." It took me all night, several tools and a table vice just to bend the stuff. It's almost too solid. I reinforced where it goes into the fuse with some more paint stirrers glued over the top of the wire. Seems to be holding up fine, so far. :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oh boy buzz - now that you have finished the Storch it looks like you've got nothing on the table at the moment! You gotta change that! I know you've got a spitfire needing repairs/replacement, but any ideas on what you are going to build next? You should do the bushwhacker with @BATTLEAXE and I!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Oh boy buzz - now that you have finished the Storch it looks like you've got nothing on the table at the moment! You gotta change that! I know you've got a spitfire needing repairs/replacement, but any ideas on what you are going to build next? You should do the bushwhacker with @BATTLEAXE and I!
I'm already committed to building the Mig3 next with @K3V0. It would have started tonight, except I get to fly again tomorrow, and I'm nursing my Spitfire back to flight readiness. Then I'm building a 150% MSBP. THEN I've already got parts cut out for the FT Mustang, the Mini Mustang, the Bloody Wonder, the Mini Corsair and the FT3D, all courtesy of @sundown57. In between all that, I'm going to rebuild my EAF Edge. Then crash it and rebuild it again. Probably a few times. :p

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm already committed to building the Mig3 next with @K3V0. It would have started tonight, except I get to fly again tomorrow, and I'm nursing my Spitfire back to flight readiness. Then I'm building a 150% MSBP. THEN I've already got parts cut out for the FT Mustang, the Mini Mustang, the Bloody Wonder, the Mini Corsair and the FT3D, all courtesy of @sundown57. In between all that, I'm going to rebuild my EAF Edge. Then crash it and rebuild it again. Probably a few times. :p
Lol - you’ve got some sweet stuff coming up, but the bushwhacker is still better. JK - that’s just cause me and @BATTLEAXE are building it😉 I can’t speak for any of planes except for the ft-3D but I can tell you that’s a handful, but a handful of fun at that! Have fun flying tomorrow (and building)! A 150% msbp will be awesome - the vids you’ve posted of the mini msbp are awesome, and the bigger one will be twice the fun!

Last edited:

K3V0

Elite member
Beautiful plane Buzzbomb! I love flying my storch too. I used some heavy duty wire for the landing gear and it holds up for sure! Now I gotta land it so the rest of the fuselage holds up to the landing gear!
ED6A183D-0D5A-417C-8FB5-7C8E303C87FC.jpeg
I actually just switched to putting my battery inside the pod from the outside. It felt way more stable for me. I can’t wait to see your Mig 3! Thanks for joining me on that. I’m down to work on the bushwhacker next though, I’ve got plans printed and waiting to be put together.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Beautiful plane Buzzbomb! I love flying my storch too. I used some heavy duty wire for the landing gear and it holds up for sure! Now I gotta land it so the rest of the fuselage holds up to the landing gear! View attachment 147784 I actually just switched to putting my battery inside the pod from the outside. It felt way more stable for me. I can’t wait to see your Mig 3! Thanks for joining me on that. I’m down to work on the bushwhacker next though, I’ve got plans printed and waiting to be put together.
You are up on the Bushwhacker as well? Sweet! I flubbed up the fuse last night, got to remake it. But the wing went together without any hitches. @The Hangar and I are using the original build thread for the Bushwhacker here if you would like to join up. Would be good to have ya (y)

How is the Spit coming along @buzzbomb?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hey congrats man, beautiful and smooth! I've got a lot to learn to fly that way :) Your plane looks awesome, almost easy to fly (y)
Thank you! You're already flying better than I did when I started out. Way better! The Storch is indeed pretty easy in the air if you keep it up high. It's nothing but lift with a motor. ;) It'll drop like a stone when you turn, though. I've got to get into the habit of using more rudder and coordinating my aileron turns better.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Beautiful plane Buzzbomb! I love flying my storch too. I used some heavy duty wire for the landing gear and it holds up for sure! Now I gotta land it so the rest of the fuselage holds up to the landing gear! View attachment 147784 I actually just switched to putting my battery inside the pod from the outside. It felt way more stable for me. I can’t wait to see your Mig 3! Thanks for joining me on that. I’m down to work on the bushwhacker next though, I’ve got plans printed and waiting to be put together.
I cut some more paint stirrers down and glued them on the fuse, over the wires for the gear, top and bottom. I had to add more around the hole in the top, so I didn't change the angle of the wing. The extra support seems to be helping a lot.

If you're building the Bushwhacker next, I'll go ahead and build my 150% MSBP. I'm really looking forward to that one. Then we can come back and build the Migs together. :)