Building without plans challenge

PoorManRC

Master member

Captain Jay

Elite member
Ok, so FRANKENJET didn't work out. So last night I cut it up, took all the parts out and buildt a new jet. This one is kind of like an L-39. I'll just call it FRANKENJET 2 for now. This shows that you can build in one evening and be ready the next evening. I just need the control surfaces done and attach the elevator... painting tonight... hope this one works better... I made sure the edf and exhaust was very straight and not angled at all. Also chose a different main wing set up. Easier to balance a wing like this one. I think I'll have a flyer here...
Also, if you zoom in on the elevator, you can see the transparency film inserted with pin holes for gripping. These are drying before I add the elevator on. Saves money on buying hinges... take note...
Hope you all like it...
IMG_20190818_1205587.jpg

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I never make full plans on a new design before actually building it. I draw up a couple templates by hand for the fuselage and stuff but draw and measure everything else out how I like it as I go. That's how I made this plane, the plans came after it was already past prototype stage and on version 1.0 rebuild,thanks to @Grifflyer. Hopefully your design will work after a bit more tinkering, it looks cool! This baby definitely didn't fly on the first prototype..it was a handful of tries before she was good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, so FRANKENJET didn't work out. So last night I cut it up, took all the parts out and buildt a new jet. This one is kind of like an L-39. I'll just call it FRANKENJET 2 for now. This shows that you can build in one evening and be ready the next evening. I just need the control surfaces done and attach the elevator... painting tonight... hope this one works better... I made sure the edf and exhaust was very straight and not angled at all. Also chose a different main wing set up. Easier to balance a wing like this one. I think I'll have a flyer here...
Also, if you zoom in on the elevator, you can see the transparency film inserted with pin holes for gripping. These are drying before I add the elevator on. Saves money on buying hinges... take note...
Hope you all like it...
View attachment 139916
It looks great and sounds promising! Good luck. If you get it on video, share it with us!