C-17 Globemaster III - 50mm EDF

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Like you I'm all for preserving the scale look as much as practical. I'm not looking for major reconfigurations but rather workable ways to run less hot.

Even if you don't relocate the ESC's, larger gauge wire should help solve one of the problems. And as for cooling the ESC's, with such a large fuselage, it seems that if you could just get some space between them they wouldn't be adding to their neighboors heat problem with their own. And if there's a discreet way to channel more air through that fuselage via the wheel wells of the landing gear, or the ram air inlets I see outside the mainmount wells, or maybe a couple of mesh screens fore and aft.

Along those lines I have a couple of questions. Are you using retracts? And, what is the dark colored rectangular area on the port side below the pilot's window?

In my deliberations whether or not to cut holes in the fuselage, my hesitation is not related to scale appearance - I would sacrifice some looks for functional cooling - it was more a structural worry. The fuselage sidewalls are the only structure that transfers the lifting load of the wings to support the weight of the main battery and the rest of the airframe. So cutting holes in it, when I don't have traditional stringers and longerons to carry the load, is less than desirable.

I do not have retracts, they are pinned on externally and can fall away if wanted for a "retracted" look in flight (and belly landing)

The rectangle you refer to is the lower 'chin' window, there is one on both sides. I've since cut them both out to be the main air intakes to the body. The hot air exit is behind the wing on top, at its root (not pictured in any images, since I added these cutouts after the maiden flight).

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I was thinking the same thing for the chin window. I was asking about the restracts because the wheel wells could be another area to open up and let some air through discreetly.

Not to rush you at all, but have you any idea when the next flight might be?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I was thinking the same thing for the chin window. I was asking about the restracts because the wheel wells could be another area to open up and let some air through discreetly.

Not to rush you at all, but have you any idea when the next flight might be?

The next flight will be at FFWest ... I don't want to risk crashing before getting it in the air up there. I know it flies, now it's just a matter of giving it the best chance at surviving that next flight. ;)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Alright, I've opened her up again. I ordered some larger gauge silicone wire, and I've picked out a nice spot in the fuselage ahead of the battery for the ESC's to go. I'll have to dis/reconnect all the motor wires whenever I install/remove the wing, but this way the ESC's themselves will be easier to swap if necessary.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I know you're all gonna love this super complicated update.... I rewired the wings - again - and found a home for the ESCs in the forward fuselage!

It's read to fly once again.... now just gotta wait for Flite Fest West!

IMG_3097.JPG

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Always love popping into this thread to see whats happening ;)
Ben, Everything looks great and to be honest we are all excited to see you and your Globemaster at FFW!
Also, to everyone who has participated in this discussion... Thank you for being an integral part of this forum thread as well as many others! You are all what makes this platform possible and I cannot thank you enough!!

Keep up the great work guys!
Blessings,
Stefan

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Thank you to everyone who followed and supported this project! Special thanks to Stefan and the whole Flite Test team for reaching out to me, covering it, and showcasing the project (and me hugging my dad)! :D This is the best hobby community, bar none.

In case you missed it, here are a couple of my vlogs that cover the C-17 flight attempts at FFW:

Sorry they're so long....the short version is, it flew great for the cameras, but the second attempt did not go as planned. Post-carnage analysis is spotty and ultimately not useful, so we'll just reincarnate the parts and keep building!! Really, I'm not that heartbroken about it; I had an AMAZING time with this plane. Don't be sad for me...I'm not. :D

Bonus: I saved the nose and tail and got the FT crew to sign 'em!

Thanks again everyone, it's been awesome!! Let's build something new!

earthsciteach

You hit a grand slam with the C-17. It had such a presence in the air! You are inspiring people with your builds. I am really excited to talk to you on the podcast this coming Tuesday!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
You did a good job on it Ben. Very nice! And a great job getting those little wheels off a very bumpy runway.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I have to add my two bits also..... It looked amazing!, both on the ground and in the air. Terrific build Ben!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Thanks again, all! Here are the last shots of it before the salvage operation. I kept the nose & tail, and had as many as I could find from FT sign 'em.

IMG_3336.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg