CA glue and accelerator

navillus5

Hi -
I am thinking about building the 3D printed plane that was built in last FT video - and yes the music was really, really annoying - I'm pretty sure from all the comments that the FT crew got the message loud and clear...

So anyway - In this video and in others they mention the use of both cyanoacrelate and an accelerator for applications in which hot glue is not appropriate. I am pretty sure that they use something like these glues but I was wondering if those of you who have used these glues have any tips and Do's and Don'ts that they would like to share?

BTW - I have printed a couple of parts and everything looks go so far...
PXL_20210205_231549931.jpg

whackflyer

Master member
Hi -
I am thinking about building the 3D printed plane that was built in last FT video - and yes the music was really, really annoying - I'm pretty sure from all the comments that the FT crew got the message loud and clear...

So anyway - In this video and in others they mention the use of both cyanoacrelate and an accelerator for applications in which hot glue is not appropriate. I am pretty sure that they use something like these glues but I was wondering if those of you who have used these glues have any tips and Do's and Don'ts that they would like to share?

View attachment 191531
Looked like they were using BSI medium, the purple bottle. I used it to assemble @localfiend Northern Pike and it worked great. Get a lot of accelerator, the small bottles don't last long. Get some debonder too so you don't permanently glue your fingers together :ROFLMAO:. You don't need a bead of CA like you do hot glue, just a little on the surface your trying to attach. Take your time and it'll turn out good! Good luck!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
those are really good glues. i use them all the time. not the cheapest but worth it in my book. you can also just use gorilla super glue and buy a big spray can of kicker if you want to do on the cheap. i think i used gorilla on my last 3D print plane because it took a lot of glue and i did not want to use all my BSI stuff.

me :cool:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
BSI's great stuff, as is ZAP glue; I've used both, and they're comparable to each other. I'd say that you could look in your area to see what's available, and the prices; ZAP is easy for me to get here in Southern California, since their West Coast distributor, House of Balsa, is just north of San Bernardino. Their prices tend to be a little cheaper than BSI products, (at least, at the hobby shops I frequent) but your mileage may vary. :)

I'd warn against any of the REALLY cheap super glue out there (for example, I bought some super glue from the Dollar Tree to try and glue a drawer pull back on a cheap filing cabinet drawer and it wouldn't bond at all). And look at how you might be applying the glue, too - if it's something where you need it to be more viscous vs. thinner, then make sure you get the appropriate glue for your application. Even within the different brands, there's different viscosities, and it makes a difference in how long it takes to dry, how much excess you might have, etc...As @whackflyer mentioned, you don't need a lot of CA, especially if you're using kicker/accelerator, so a thicker, more viscous CA might not be appropriate for the application.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The good CA’s, like BSI & Zap will work in seconds, much faster than the cheap stuff. The cheap stuff will work, but it will take several minutes for it to cure. Adding heat will speed up cure time.

With all CA’s, don’t use too much, it only takes a small amount to work. The more glue you use, the longer it takes to cure. If you need to build up an area, add a small amount of baking soda, then hit it with CA. When cured, it will be rock hard.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I had to laugh when they got stuck to their builds. Been there, done that!... Even back in the balsa days. LOL I was surprised at how many people complained about the music. I must be numb to it. Possibly because I more watch than listen to the videos most of the time.

Cheers!
LB

whackflyer

Master member
Thanks for the comments! How about accelerator? How/when should it be used?
You'll use it on every joint on a 3D printed plane. If you use it, you have to hold the part for about 5 seconds and it's totally set, versus at least 30 to bond and more then that to completely set if you don't use accelerator. If you use a lot of CA it'll only cure the outside of the puddle and you won't get a good bond, that's another reason it's important to use the minimum amount of CA needed.

danskis

Master member
I don't have a lot of experience with CA but I learned I wouldn't use it without kicker. One of the best modelers around here says a mist of water will work.....he says he just breathes on his and the moisture in his breath cures it. (I haven't tried either of these)

mdcerdan

Elite member
I made my own CA accelerator. it is just baking soda diluted in water,1 part baking soda and 4 parts water. An empty perfume flask works fine as an applicator.

Bricks

Master member
The only thing I do not like about CA is it is very brittle there is no flex to it. If the joint is not a good fit it is not the best to use in my opinion. If you have a good fit a little CA and when you push the parts together should be enough to cure the CA. almost instantly, using kicker does weaken it a little. But a person needs to do what they need to do.

sprzout

Mentor
The good CA’s, like BSI & Zap will work in seconds, much faster than the cheap stuff. The cheap stuff will work, but it will take several minutes for it to cure. Adding heat will speed up cure time.

With all CA’s, don’t use too much, it only takes a small amount to work. The more glue you use, the longer it takes to cure. If you need to build up an area, add a small amount of baking soda, then hit it with CA. When cured, it will be rock hard.

While you’re right about using heat to cure it, DO NOT use heat to cure CA where you’re joining PLA!!! It’ll warp or even melt the PLA, and your work will be for naught.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
While you’re right about using heat to cure it, DO NOT use heat to cure CA where you’re joining PLA!!! It’ll warp or even melt the PLA, and your work will be for naught.
Your point about too much heat is well taken.

For those of us in colder climates, a little heat is magic to start the reaction. CA will generate it’s own heat as it cures and some times it needs a boost to start. Something like warm breath or a quick hit from hair dryer set on low.

Cold significantly slows the cure time. That is why some of us store CA in the refrigerator, to prolong the shelf life.

Last edited:

sprzout

Mentor
Your point about too much heat is well taken.

For those of us in colder climates, a little heat is magic to start the reaction. CA will generate it’s own heat as it cures and some times it needs a boost to start. Something like warm breath or a quick hit from hair dryer set on low.

Cold significantly slows the cure time. That is why some of us store CA in the refrigerator, to prolong the shelf life.

Won't disagree with that at all. :) I just have visions of people pulling out heat guns or hair dryers and trying to "speed up" the process, and all of a sudden their "slightly thicker than paper" walls of their 3D printed aircraft start curling or melting. I've seen a hot summer day warp the 3D printed motor mounts for my Versa Wings (we got 100+ F temps at our flight field the past 2 summers), so I want people to be aware. I'd hate for you to spend hours or even days printing out the plane and then have to start all over because parts got warped by the application of too much heat.

skymaster

Elite member
Hi -

View attachment 191531
I wonder if you can add a twist and lock on the fuselage. to put things toguether.