Cameras

For future reference, when I build a mini-quad, I want to make it as budget as possible, including the camera. I want to be able to fly FPV and record, of course, so I'm looking at two:

The RunCam HD2: Super low latency with live output (for a recording camera, claims 60ms when recording 1080p, 60FPS) so I wouldn't need to buy an additional camera to save money, but I don't know if I would be able to tilt the camera on a mini-quad frame. Can record at 1080p, 60 FPS. $99

GoPro Hero: Would be able to tilt it like normal, but would need to buy an additional camera for FPV because of the latency, right? Can record at 1080p, but only 30 FPS. $129.99

The price points are similar but of course the RunCam is basically cheaper since I wouldn't need an additional camera. Also, I like 60 FPS videos
Was wondering what you guys think? Could the RunCam be tilted some how? Or should I get a GoPro and FPV camera?

Also, what do the numbers mean on the mini-quad frames? (For example, QAV210, QAV250, etc.)

Thanks, Ethan

brettp2004

The numbers on the quads are the size of the quad. I believe its measured diagonal from motor to motor, but I could be wrong on that. As far as the cameras go, if you plan on flying low and in close proximity to objects (trees, building, etc.) I would definitely recommend getting a separate board camera for FPV. You can pick them up pretty cheap. I have a Mobius on my quad which is similar to the RunCam, and I'm able to tilt it. Why don't you think you'll be able to tilt it on the frame?

The numbers on the quads are the size of the quad. I believe its measured diagonal from motor to motor, but I could be wrong on that. As far as the cameras go, if you plan on flying low and in close proximity to objects (trees, building, etc.) I would definitely recommend getting a separate board camera for FPV. You can pick them up pretty cheap. I have a Mobius on my quad which is similar to the RunCam, and I'm able to tilt it. Why don't you think you'll be able to tilt it on the frame?

I thought I wouldn't be able to tilt it since in all of the pictures I've seen the GoPro is always on the front, but now I realise I guess I could put it on the top of the frame now that I think of it. I don't even own anything yet, I'm just curious. Does the size affect much? Also, is there a difference between an acro and racing frame? I haven't done any research yet,but I'm considering this one: http://www.getfpv.com/qav210-carbon-fiber-fpv-quadcopter.html or maybe this one? http://www.lumenier.com/products/multirotors/qav250 I really can't tell the difference other than the size, so do they fly much differently?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
The Runcam can easily be tilted, it just requires a longer wedge. I actually like the flat style camera shape better than GoPro style shape because it makes the miniquad lower in profile.

No sure about the latency of the Runcam, but you are correct in not wanting to fly through the GoPro. Another camera I can recommend is the Xioami Yi. You can find it for around $65 here and there and it does 1080p 60fps and even 2K 30fps. It is Gopro style too if you like that form. You will need a separate board cam, but you're probably better off with a board cam any way. Another camera I've seen is the Foxeer Legend. I have no experience with it, but it does 1080p 60fps for $90.

zmr250-mounting-mobius-camera-frame.jpg

Longbaorder23

My friend bought a kit similar to the one mentioned, and it works. But, even when youre on a budget, id still recommend choosing your own parts. because maybe the extra 10 bucks overall by buying a different set of parts might make your life a whole lot easier, so its a preference thing.
+1 on the xiaomi Yi. have been using mine for 2 seasons, and i put a massive CPL filter over the front to get gorgeous colors, and i love it. great cam.

Also, yes, get the FPV camera. will make your life way easier, and there are very very very low latency cameras out there, with beautiful pictures.

I would suggest a Mobius or 808 #16 Keychain Camera. The Keychain camera is $45, has 120 degree lens, is easily powered, and records in 720p. I have had no real noticeable latency with mine.