Cant get the motor to run!

BMuenzler

Hey, everyone.

I have a quick question for a frustrating issue. I'm in the process of testing out my electronics that I'll be putting into an FT Racer. I plug in the ESC to the motor and the receiver, turn on the transmitter, plug in the battery, and set the ESC to operate on a li-po (one beep). After it is programmed, I run up the throttle but the motor stutters harshly and after a few seconds the ESC gets very hot! I checked all of the solder connections and they seem solid.

Here's a list of the electronics: (I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I'm not quite sure if these are compatible)

MOTOR: Cheetah 2208-17 1100kv
ESC: Suppo SP-30A
RECEIVER: Megatech 4 Channel Receiver
TRANS: Megatech PF-4000 27.145MHz
BATT: Zippy 2200 30C 3S

Can anybody help me out? I'm ready to fly this thing!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I think your biggest problem may be damage to the motor windings. One might be broken or shorted to the stator. If you got this from altitude hobbies, give them a call and explain the problem, they might even replace the motor or ESC.

BMuenzler

I picked it up brand new from a local hobby shop. This is its first application, is that a possibility even with a new motor?

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I picked it up brand new from a local hobby shop. This is its first application, is that a possibility even with a new motor?

Anything is possible. Can you take it in to the local shop? I would start there. My worry would be both the motor and esc are now damaged. The shop might have the tools to test it.

BMuenzler

Thanks, guys. I'll take it into the shop and see if we can figure it out. Now when I try to freespin the motor it offers much more resistance, like the brake is applied. I guess I'll be needing a new motor at the least.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
If this was the case, would one of the bullet connectors show continuity to some other part of the motor?

If the motor is damaged, definitely also get them to exchange the ESC. It may seem fine, but if it has been overheated, there's no reason you should have to take a chance on it in the future.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
If this was the case, would one of the bullet connectors show continuity to some other part of the motor?

If the motor is damaged, definitely also get them to exchange the ESC. It may seem fine, but if it has been overheated, there's no reason you should have to take a chance on it in the future.

Yes it would. I agree.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Now when I try to freespin the motor it offers much more resistance, like the brake is applied.

This is an indication that at least to motor wires of the motor are shorted (anyone can try this out by taking a motor, and shorting 2 leads). I'm assuming this is the case when the ESC is disconnected. If this is when the ESC is connected, the ESC probably has an internal short.

But yeah, just go back to the hobbyshop!

BMuenzler

I checked everything out today and it looks like the Suppo ESC is faulty. I'll see if I can get an exchange from Altitude Hobbies.