Carbon Cub S+ and the AR6600t

JohnnyBlade

I just picked up a Carbon Cub with all the fancy tech with gps and virtual fence etc. It came with a gps pack and a reciever that doesn’t allow for use of flaps unless you have a seven channel Tx.
I am wondering if I can use the Rx (6600t) that came with my DX6 And pulll the other one out that came with the cub. I don’t really trust the gps due to stories I have heard about flyaways. I’d rather have flaps than a lost plane if I had to choose. Has anyone tried this, or something along these lines? I’d like to be able to use flaps with my dx6 for the cub.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just picked up a Carbon Cub with all the fancy tech with gps and virtual fence etc. It came with a gps pack and a reciever that doesn’t allow for use of flaps unless you have a seven channel Tx.
I am wondering if I can use the Rx (6600t) that came with my DX6 And pulll the other one out that came with the cub. I don’t really trust the gps due to stories I have heard about flyaways. I’d rather have flaps than a lost plane if I had to choose. Has anyone tried this, or something along these lines? I’d like to be able to use flaps with my dx6 for the cub.
Yes, you can definitely remove the gps and add flaps. Like you said, the gps’s have been known to cause problems so I would take it out anyways. You shouldn’t even need to change out recievers. Just assign whatever channel you plug the flaps into on a switch on your transmitter. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them! BTW I have the new S2 version of the Carbon Cub and its is a really awesome plane!

JohnnyBlade

Yes, you can definitely remove the gps and add flaps. Like you said, the gps’s have been known to cause problems so I would take it out anyways. You shouldn’t even need to change out recievers. Just assign whatever channel you plug the flaps into on a switch on your transmitter. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them! BTW I have the new S2 version of the Carbon Cub and its is a really awesome plane!

Update: I removed the GPS from the plane, and was able to bind it and get it to respond to all standard control inputs. Success on the, “Keep it from flying away” front. Thing is, the Rx that comes stock in the plane has no more channel inputs, save for the one that says 7ch. The rest are “X”ed out. The GPS connects to a port of a different plug style in the front of the Rx, I suppose I figured the GPS occupied a channel and I could use that channel for flaps once gps was removed, this is not the case, however. All available channels on the Rx are occupied by the 4 main flight controls, a bind spot, and “X”ed out spots, and a channel for the flaps the would only work with a Tx that has at least 7ch. Will I, in fact have to change the Rx to the A6600t after all? Bonuses are it has room for telemetry sensors, and open and enough available signal ports for a full six controllable channels.....What say you?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Update: I removed the GPS from the plane, and was able to bind it and get it to respond to all standard control inputs. Success on the, “Keep it from flying away” front. Thing is, the Rx that comes stock in the plane has no more channel inputs, save for the one that says 7ch. The rest are “X”ed out. The GPS connects to a port of a different plug style in the front of the Rx, I suppose I figured the GPS occupied a channel and I could use that channel for flaps once gps was removed, this is not the case, however. All available channels on the Rx are occupied by the 4 main flight controls, a bind spot, and “X”ed out spots, and a channel for the flaps the would only work with a Tx that has at least 7ch. Will I, in fact have to change the Rx to the A6600t after all? Bonuses are it has room for telemetry sensors, and open and enough available signal ports for a full six controllable channels.....What say you?
Could you post a picture of it?

JohnnyBlade

8A7DFA37-6ACE-47F3-B393-F7CADDCFF388.png

JohnnyBlade

Update: So I removed the GPS and stock receiver after the cub failed to live up to my preflight control surface checks and gave me a headache simply trying to bind. After installing the AR6600T I’m pleased to report that all control surfaces are working as I want them to. Also I installed a 9g metal gear servo for the flaps and it is working with the AR6600T. Basically no stock receiver or GPS remain in the Cub and I’m glad for that. I have full control with no flyaway risk and the option to add telemetry to the Cub. Hoping to add sensors to provide track, or bearing, or compass heading, altitude, and airspeed. I feel like having that info would be way more useful than an automatic Gps system that runs a risk of failure and airframe loss. Any info on items that provide such data would be helpful!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Update: So I removed the GPS and stock receiver after the cub failed to live up to my preflight control surface checks and gave me a headache simply trying to bind. After installing the AR6600T I’m pleased to report that all control surfaces are working as I want them to. Also I installed a 9g metal gear servo for the flaps and it is working with the AR6600T. Basically no stock receiver or GPS remain in the Cub and I’m glad for that. I have full control with no flyaway risk and the option to add telemetry to the Cub. Hoping to add sensors to provide track, or bearing, or compass heading, altitude, and airspeed. I feel like having that info would be way more useful than an automatic Gps system that runs a risk of failure and airframe loss. Any info on items that provide such data would be helpful!
Glad you got it to work! I've never done anything with telemetry except battery voltage.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
You can't go wrong with the AR6600T, I use it in a few planes with telemetry and have never had any issues. I only use the voltage and temp telemetry though, but I would assume that any sensor you add will work with no issues as this receiver is probably one of the best made out there.