Help! Charger for 4s lipo

Snoopy31195

I'm looking at getting at the Timber and a 4s 2200-3600mah lipo with an e3 connector, but my current charger only charges 2s and 3s. What would be a relatively cheap option for a charger for these lipos and other items needed to charger them such as a power supply for the charger or adapters?

evranch

Honestly, just about any charger on the market today will do it.

The big question is, what are you charging with now that only is capable of 2s and 3s? Your new charger will likely be superior to the one you have now, so you may want to choose options like being able to charge multiple batteries at once, etc.

FDS

Elite member
If you buy a mains charger you won’t need a PSU. Look for something with a bit of power, 80w minimum for larger capacity batteries. There’s plenty under $80 that will do a great job. Get a two output one if possible, it will speed up your recharge time.
Cheap chargers are usually designed only for tiny packs, you won’t need to break the bank completely but you are not going to get a good one for $20.
I have charged batteries away from my mains supply once in 6 years, charging those big packs off a car battery is a good way to end up with a flat car battery! Buy more packs, charge at home, that’s how I have usually done it.

Snoopy31195

Honestly, just about any charger on the market today will do it.

The big question is, what are you charging with now that only is capable of 2s and 3s? Your new charger will likely be superior to the one you have now, so you may want to choose options like being able to charge multiple batteries at once, etc.

Currently I have a cheap Turnigy E3.

If you buy a mains charger you won’t need a PSU. Look for something with a bit of power, 80w minimum for larger capacity batteries. There’s plenty under $80 that will do a great job. Get a two output one if possible, it will speed up your recharge time.
Cheap chargers are usually designed only for tiny packs, you won’t need to break the bank completely but you are not going to get a good one for $20.
I have charged batteries away from my mains supply once in 6 years, charging those big packs off a car battery is a good way to end up with a flat car battery! Buy more packs, charge at home, that’s how I have usually done it.

Is there a specific one that you would recommend, I'm sort of lost when it comes to chargers?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had great luck with the Imax B6. I buy the cheap ones from eBay, I’m sure they are knockoffs.

evranch

Currently I have a cheap Turnigy E3

Oh yeah, a balance lead charger. These guys take forever to charge, so anything you buy will be a big step up.

The Imax B6 Merv mentions is one built on a very standard platform and is likely very similar internally to the two I'm linking here. My 10A charger is from Common Sense RC, which is the same as the one Flite Test sells in the store as the Protek 610ez. Just different branding.

If you look for a charger that can deliver 10A and has this same form factor (Rectangular LCD display, 4 buttons, 2 banana jacks, balance connector, AC power supply) you will likely get the same one everyone else has, and you should pay around $50-60 I'm guessing.

Watch out for chargers that require a seperate DC supply or do not deliver their full potential on AC.

Mhesche

I have a simple $20 dynamite 1-4s battery charger. Works great as I don’t have any batteries higher than 3s anyway.