Cheap, electrical retracts!

crispytato

Hi there all, I've been looking into retracts for my next pylon racer, and in the process, I ran into these cheapies on RCTimer. http://rctimer.com/product-717.html

I realize the quality is probably pretty low, but does anyone have experience with these or similar? I've never had a successful plane with landing gear of any type, and I hate the idea of a fast, efficient plane with big ugly gear hanging out the bottom making turbulence and killing speed, so these really appeal to me.

Being that the gear are quite light, I intend to get well over-rated gear for my plane (3kg rated on a ~750g plane) in the hopes that the extra strength will make up for any weaknesses in the product. I intend to set it up as a tail dragger, just using a tail-skid rather than another small wheel flapping in the breeze.

Maybe someone could direct me to a better section of the forum to ask about these if this isn't the place? I post here because I have in the past and know that the inhabitants of this section are well-informed :)

Thanks!
Chris

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Those look like the same retracts Hobby King sells. I used then a year ago and am happy with their performance. They are heavy, but they work.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I used these for DIY retractable landing gear on my first quadcopter. They worked well and supported the weight of the machine on the ground, although they might have been close to their limit. They are rated 1.5-2.0 kg unlike yours at 3kg so I think you'll be very well off supporting the weight of a plane