Cleanflight - What's your favorite PID controller?

Which of the new PID controllers do you prefer?

• PID 0 MultiWii (old)

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • PID 1 MultiWii (rewrite)

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • PID 2 LuxFloat

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • PID 3 MultiWii (2.3 - latest)

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • PID 4 MultiWii (2.3 - hybrid)

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • PID 5 Harakiri

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Yeah, I'm running OneShot. I enabled it immediately after flashing cleanflight, before I even built the quad. :D Running BLHeli 13.2 on the ESCs. My looptime = 1200

Also of note, I tried 5x4 props today and wow, I've got a buttload of useless 5030s now. I didn't notice any oscillations without changing anything else. The quad just has so much more authority to correct. My flying improved as well. They make 5030s feel like trying to fly through jello. No wonder these guys running stiffer props can hit such small targets... they're not fighting their prop flexing.

Watching the video playback now. These props literally changed everything. It even looks way more locked in. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?! I blame FGA. :cool:

Gemfans are weak and lack honor :) Glad to see simply swapping props cleaned everything up! the bullnose will give you a lot more ummph, but will probably pull your flight times down a bit due to current draw (and you may need to retune a little, but I've not run them on anything yet since I can fit 6x4.5s)

Gemfans are weak and lack honor :) Glad to see simply swapping props cleaned everything up! the bullnose will give you a lot more ummph, but will probably pull your flight times down a bit due to current draw (and you may need to retune a little, but I've not run them on anything yet since I can fit 6x4.5s)

Noted. I've got a Blackout Super Mini H on the way. This little Minion is just getting me in the air until it arrives. Honestly, though, I'll probably run 5x4s or 5x4.5s on the Blackout on 4S, even though it can support 6" props. That seems to be the winning combo lately. The 5" props can alter speed quite a bit faster due to... ya know, physics.

narcolepticltd

Noted. I've got a Blackout Super Mini H on the way. This little Minion is just getting me in the air until it arrives. Honestly, though, I'll probably run 5x4s or 5x4.5s on the Blackout on 4S, even though it can support 6" props. That seems to be the winning combo lately. The 5" props can alter speed quite a bit faster due to... ya know, physics.

the bullnose 5's on 2204/2300kv 4s is a popular set up these days :) Even with the option to run 6x4.5's (on 1960kv) I see a lot of guys swapping between the 2 set ups.

Lemme find that thread where I asked about the difference in performance and preference... good info there.

Ahh! Here it is:

5" vs 6" Blackout style minis

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yeah, I'm running OneShot. I enabled it immediately after flashing cleanflight, before I even built the quad. :D Running BLHeli 13.2 on the ESCs. My looptime = 1200

Also of note, I tried 5x4 props today and wow, I've got a buttload of useless 5030s now. I didn't notice any oscillations without changing anything else. The quad just has so much more authority to correct. My flying improved as well. They make 5030s feel like trying to fly through jello. No wonder these guys running stiffer props can hit such small targets... they're not fighting their prop flexing.

Watching the video playback now. These props literally changed everything. It even looks way more locked in. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?! I blame FGA. :cool:

I tried to about 8 months ago but apparently there wasn't anything wrong with the 5030's back then. Glad to see everyone finally catching up. :)

I tried to about 8 months ago but apparently there wasn't anything wrong with the 5030's back then. Glad to see everyone finally catching up. :)

Haha, I got the memo, more or less. I saw everyone flying with them on youtube. I suppose I thought I wasn't skilled enough to use more aggressive props. It didn't occur to me that they might net better response that would actually make it easier to fly. Derp.

the bullnose 5's on 2204/2300kv 4s is a popular set up these days :) Even with the option to run 6x4.5's (on 1960kv) I see a lot of guys swapping between the 2 set ups.

Lemme find that thread where I asked about the difference in performance and preference... good info there.

Ahh! Here it is:

5" vs 6" Blackout style minis

That thread was very enlightening. Thanks for sharing. I now understand why you blame FGA. :p

One interesting thing I noticed was that someone said the difference between the GF 5030s and the HQ 5x4s was negligible. I suppose it's subjective, but I would disagree. The 5x4s instantly gave me a big bump in confidence, and a noticeable speed boost. I suspect that the jump to 5x4.5s might be similar, but I'm only running 3S atm. The nano-tech 4S 1800s are backordered. Thanks FGA. :D

I suppose I've derailed this thread sufficiently. But yes, I do like LuxFloat.

narcolepticltd

That thread was very enlightening. Thanks for sharing. I now understand why you blame FGA. :p

One interesting thing I noticed was that someone said the difference between the GF 5030s and the HQ 5x4s was negligible. I suppose it's subjective, but I would disagree. The 5x4s instantly gave me a big bump in confidence, and a noticeable speed boost. I suspect that the jump to 5x4.5s might be similar, but I'm only running 3S atm. The nano-tech 4S 1800s are backordered. Thanks FGA. :D

I suppose I've derailed this thread sufficiently. But yes, I do like LuxFloat.

On paper, maybe the 5030's and hq5040's look that way ;)

Those 1800's are always back ordered... Thanks FGA

You haven't derailed this thread, it turned into a luxfloat shop several pages ago ;)

narcolepticltd

And wow you can really see the difference in that second video! Btw, all your cheesy 80's keyboard numbers are making me want to put some FPV footage to some Chromeo... now I just need some fpv gear...

And wow you can really see the difference in that second video! Btw, all your cheesy 80's keyboard numbers are making me want to put some FPV footage to some Chromeo... now I just need some fpv gear...

Agreed. I had two thoughts upon taking off. The first was "Woah." The seconds was "I need 4S."

The music to which you refer is generally called "Synthwave," a term which I coined back in 2011 in order to have a simple term to describe the music I was playing (and continue to play) on my internet radio show, Project Friday. It was too cumbersome to say "Dreamwave, Outrun, Retro Electro, Italo and NuDisco," so I started calling it Synthwave, and it kind of stuck. I suppose I'm the FGA of Synthwave. haha

If it is of interest to you, I now operate a full-time Synthwave station called Power85. Project Friday, my live show, happens on Friday evenings at 9pm Eastern on said station. http://www.power85.com

</end shameless self-promotion>

"Thanks, FinalGlideAus!" is becoming the, "Thanks, Obama!" of Flite Test.

Haha, I haven't visited this forum much, just came here to check in on FF15. Saw some interesting threads, and it just seemed appropriate to blame and/or thank FGA, given Narco's signature.

I'm thinking about making a video compilation of all my crashes, and putting the text "THANKS FINAL GLIDE AUS" after each one. All in good fun, of course. :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
HBodQPQ.jpg

I hadn't come across FGA's vids until recently. I'd been watching Boris, Danny, Charpu... the usual group of troublemakers and hadn't strayed much outside that, beside of course Flitetest and Bruce's hilarious videos over at RCModelReviews. I'm pretty sure Bruce is the most unintentionally hilarious person in the hobby.

Shufty

Just finished watching FGA's recent videos. Now I have to order some new ESCs and 4S lipos for my BO.

Thanks FinalGlide :/