Colorex's First Foamie (non RC)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
no i dont think it would be to heavy. if you were making a 3d model, than yes, possibly, but the manta is some kind of glider if im not mistaking. it should fly. if you are planing on adding an airfoil on it, then you can get more lift out of it then with 3mm depron.
your glider looked like if it was made out of that foam, and that seemed to fly quite well. EPO has 100 g/l so yeahh.. it should work.

edit: if your plans are in 3mm depron, then its not that hard to make them fit for 5mm, there are many things you can do to make it work

The Manta is a 3D plane. Though I'm considering building an FT Flyer or a FunBat now that everyone's telling me not to start with a 3D plane. Or maybe not.

I drew my own plans for 5mm.

If you think about it.

How many "liters" do you use in a shocky?
Probably 1,5liters? Estimated?

So this would just make a plus of 12 grams more if you say that shockies are mostly made from 3mm depron.
Shouldn´t be too bad on my opinion.
You might not even notice it if you don´t use too much glue instead, which many people do.

How much should a 50 cm Shockflyer fuselage weigh? Using CA and hoping it won't eat it up LOL :)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Good ones of that size should be about 150g with RC
Now you can take off all the RC components which all weigh:
motor: 20g
receiver:5-10g
servos: 3x5g
ESC:10g
battery 30g (2S ~400 mAh)
All the wires a few more 5 grams:
So about 90g of the 150 are components. So 60g for the fuselage?

Seems kinda much to me. 150 is a normal weight for sure and often read about when shockies of that size.
Also you might take into account that 60g is the fuselage plus all the small rods and cfk and so on. So getting down to some more 15g should be there as well.
And there you have your 45 g fuselage.

With depron being 40g/l you can see that a fuselage is just a bit more than a liter in volume.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
What remains of the foam sheet is 60 x 70 and weighs 100 grams, and that size is more than enough for the 50cm Manta. So maybe I underestimated my foam after all!