The first Foamie Extra NG??

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I may be wrong, but after an hour or so of googling i have been unable to find any foamie extra NG, so i would like to snag the title as the first foamie extra NG.
LMAO
Anyways so i grabbed a few reference pics of the sky wing, extreme flight and full scale Extra NG.
drew up some plans and started to cut out the plane from some chuncks of foam.
(if there is enough interest i'll finalise the plans and release both plans for hot wiring like i'm doing and for normal foamboard)

The specs are as follows
wingspan: ~1m
fuselage length: ~0.78m
battery: 2200 mah 3s or a 1800mah 4s.
prop: 12x6 APC Sport
motor: to be confirmed depending on my budget, but will probably use a 3114 900kv sunnysky motor.
servos: 9 gram standard foamie servos.

i'll try and document the build process as well as i can. i'm not one to write essays about the build but pics and short explanations i will do:p;)

Have a great day :cool:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 20.17.43.jpeg

plans all cut out and ready

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 20.17.47.jpeg

wing jigs for hotwiring cut out of hardboard (cheap mdf)

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Ok so just an update regarding my power plant.
I'm getting an eflite 25 motor with a 40 amp eflite ESC.
That'll spin my 12*6 on both my 4s 1800 and 3s 2200.

Then for servos I'll be using JR NES-331 that have about 3* as much torque as the 9gram servos I was going to use. They do weigh a little more but it's a small price to pay lol.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
finally got around to fibreglassing a cowl for it, this is the first time i'm making anything from fibreglass, but i would like to think it came out pretty well. it's not marvelous lol but it'll work
IMG-20230121-WA0005.jpg

20230120_175315.jpg

20230120_175319.jpg

Attachments

• 20230120_175315.jpg
    20230120_175315.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member
'E's a thicc boi! Loving the shape of that tail - and the rest of course, I'm just so used to us all defaulting on one sheet of foam for the tail stabs.

Is this 100% hot wire cut, then? How are you finding difficulty of planning / labour of forming compared to foam board? Always liked the idea of hot wire, but never tried it and then the foamboard-bending techniques came along.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
'E's a thicc boi! Loving the shape of that tail - and the rest of course, I'm just so used to us all defaulting on one sheet of foam for the tail stabs.

Is this 100% hot wire cut, then? How are you finding difficulty of planning / labour of forming compared to foam board? Always liked the idea of hot wire, but never tried it and then the foamboard-bending techniques came along.
LOL THANKS MAN.
yea i have to say this hotwiring is growing on me.
super easy to do, aswell as being ridiculously easy to get nice scale curves.
it's 100% hotwire cut. will post some more progress pics this evening

cyclone3350

Master member

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Just an update on the NG.
Wings are joined. All the servos are installed and pushrods installed.
Working on a wing mount system for the wing. (2 pegs on LE of wing that slot into the fuselage, then a wing nut and bolt to hold the TE of the wing down, all of this is reinforced with 3d printed force dispersers. (3d printed plates lol))

Going to mount the motor and dummy exhaust system tomorrow.
Then it's landing gear, and aesthetics (canopy, painting, and some filler)