Cool building tools

Turbojoe

Elite member
Good one! I use Z bend pliers on virtually every build. Surprisingly I've used servo tape mainly on helicopters. I'm sure there's bazillions of uses on planes as well that I haven't tried yet. I'm just not happy with adhesion to balsa. A little CA on the balsa side could take care of that though.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Here's another one. Perma Grit tools. They're gawd awful expensive but over the years they more than pay for themselves. I have a few more than what's shown in the picture but the others are hiding from me now.....

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

TooJung2Die

Master member
Here's another one. Perma Grit tools.
They look handy for shaping. You need a good grit when there's CA glue in the way. I have a set of diamond grit jewelers files that I use constantly. The grit is course enough to sand balsa. They were very inexpensive on AliExpress. I didn't think they'd last but I've had them for years.

Here are a couple of homemade tools I use frequently. Ever hear the expression "like a hot knife through butter"? That's how this covering film gadget works. #11 Xacto blade riveted to a 25W soldering iron. It cuts through film without scorching balsa. It does double duty as a super fine trim iron.

IMG_1856.JPG

These are slotting saws made from stacked fine tooth hacksaw blades. Two blades are 1/16", three make 3/32" etc. Alternate the direction of the saw teeth when stacking the blades. Super glue them together. Heat shrink tubing for a handle. Make some test cuts and grind down the side teeth until the slot cut is exactly the right width.

IMG_1857.JPG

Jon

Turbojoe

Elite member
I like the "hot knife". Never seen an Xacto blade used before. I have several pencil irons. I can sacrifice one. I can see it becoming quite useful.

The stacked hacksaw blades are infinitely less expensive than the Perma-Grit spar slotters that I bought years ago. They work great but were crazy expensive. I had more money than brains at the time I bought them. The hacksaw method works every bit as good though.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Here's a handy tool that I'm going to spend more quality time with, a crimping pliers for making your own servo extensions (or for shortening existing servo wires). It takes a little practice, but overall is a fairly easy job. The hardest part is making sure you're using the correct male or female pins, and using the correct ends. To help me I usually take a factory-made extension with an end I want to make, and put it in front of me so I can simply copy it. For the price of a handful of pre-made extensions you can buy the full kit and make your own to the right length.

images.jpg

Turbojoe

Elite member
I don't remember for certain where I got my crimping pliers but they really are indispensable if you need special length extensions aren't they? A few years ago I bought a bunch of the servo pin packs from Hobby King for crazy cheap. Now I make all my own extensions. Usually from existing extensions that I already had but I cut down for my needs and crimp new ends onto. If I didn't already have those extensions I'd just buy a roll of servo wire and save even more money.

Joe