• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Corsair/Mustang - FT Mighty Minis

What battery are you using. I am struggling to get one that fits and doesn’t pinch the wires. I’m using a 800mah 3s by turnigy. Next one I’m going to build, I’m going to add an additional 3-5 mm in width. If it had been designed at even 32mm wide in the cavity it would have made life easier.
 
I put my plans on card stock and split the fuselage and bottom plates in half. I then measured five millimeters and taped the plans back together. Making the fuselage an extra 5mm made a huge difference in battery swapping. No more fighting the plane when trying to get a battery in.
 
Modification idea for a better-looking cowl

Here's an idea I just came up with to improve the appearance of the new mini-Corsair's cowl.

I wanted to come up with something to soften the appearance of the abrupt-ending hard edge of foam board at the front of the cowl. At first I thought of finding a plastic water bottle or something of suitable diameter. But most bottles have too gradual of a curve for the Corsair. So I thought: why not just thicken up the foam a little, then sand the edge to a curve. Below is a photo of what I ended up with (with an original cowl next to it for comparison).

Here's what I did:

While the cowl piece was still flat, I removed a thin strip (about 1/4") of paper at the cowl front edge, by marking the curve using the cowl template as a guide, then scoring the surface of the paper along the mark with a hobby knife, then pulling up the strip. Then after working the cowl piece into curve (per the build video) and taping it, I sanded the exposed foam edge to a nice rounded shape. Then from some scrap DTFB I cut an additional narrow strip of foam, using the cowl template as a guide (shorter curved edge). This piece is to be added to the inner diameter of the cowl to thicken up the lip a little so it doesn't look like the end of a foam board. For this strip, I first removed the paper from one side, then worked it into a curve, then removed the paper from the other side (if you remove the paper from both sides first, it will tear when you try to work it into a curve). Then I pushed the extra strip into the cowl from the larger-diameter side. It takes a few trial fits to figure out how much to trim the length to. You want it good and snug so there's no crack between the pieces (in the photo, it's not even glued in yet).
Gonna try this on my scratch build as the last one I built the cowling just didn't look right .cheers for the idea.