• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Craft Cutting Machines?

Merv

The craft sized ones aren't big enough.
I agree, but the one I mentioned can handle stock 34" wide - $300. I don't know if the knife can cut FB. If not, I don't know if it would be possible, or worth it, to mount a needle cutter instead of the cutting knife.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If they're anything like the Cricut machine that my wife has, the answer is no, it won't be enough to cut the foamboard; the blades just aren't set up to make a deep enough cut. In addition, it may actually cause binding in the machine; most of the mechanics inside are meant to cut cardstock or vinyl thickness, not foamboard. :(

It's a good idea, but in reality, it's not designed for it - and modding one to do so might be more expense than it's worth. Like @Brett_N said, you really need the MPCNC instead.

Brett_N

modified with a needle cutter - maybe - but as sprzout mentioned, the "cutting blades" aren't up to the task of cutting more than about 1mm. They're really thin and "brittle" for lack of a better term, in order to make round cuts.

Might be worth a try with a needle cutter if you can get one on there, but the MPCNC is a better deal less than $300

jtuttle11

modified with a needle cutter - maybe - but as sprzout mentioned, the "cutting blades" aren't up to the task of cutting more than about 1mm. They're really thin and "brittle" for lack of a better term, in order to make round cuts.

Might be worth a try with a needle cutter if you can get one on there, but the MPCNC is a better deal less than $300
I created a tool for cutting circles out of DTFB. It's a pretty simple design that uses a #11 blade and I've had Terrific Success with it. I've also been able to cut thin Plywood and Plastic with it. I have no trouble cutting through DTFB which is 3/16's inch.

Jerry_C

I have a Roland CX-24, (24") vinyl cutter/plotter I used for the graphics on my Corsair. It'll cut or I can change the cutter out for a pen and it'll draw on the medium. IE.,Paper, vinyl, and so forth.