de Havilland DH.103 Hornet

leaded50

Legendary member
de Havilland DH.103 Hornet ,the ultimate piston engined fighter. In many ways represents the peak of piston-engine fighter design. With its slim fuselage, clean lines and tightly cowled engines, great attention was paid from the outset on maximising performance.
Designed around the successful wooden construction principals of the DH98 Mosquito, the DH103 Hornet was powered by a pair of "slim" 2,070 hp Merlin engines driving opposite-handed propellers . (that didnt Mosquito..) unusual for a British design in having propellers that rotated in opposite directions ..

It got other wings, more similar to the Hawker Tempest & Mustang, and changed canopy, the two things easiest to see was different from the Mosquito. pilots said it had exeptional handling, and called it "Hot Rod Mosquito". It was smaller, lighter, and had more power.
It was the fastest piston-engined fighter in Royal Air Force service. The Hornet also has the distinction of being the fastest wooden aircraft ever built and the second fastest operational twin propeller-driven aircraft — being slightly slower than the unconventional Dornier 335 with props in both ends...

I started building, from a 3d view drawing as base.... in one or other way (or since medicined? ;)) the size didnt get as planned... Here it will be 1100mm long, wingspan of 1300mm+ (approx. 20% over idea..) well, doesnt matter, just to make outer wings detachable. The motor"pods" is both as two Mustang mini planes..:rolleyes:

This will be a longer build. Im empty of foamboard, dont have the motors eg i want for this and such. With christmas around the corner, packages got delayed extra.

De_Havilland_Hornet_F1.jpg

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
de Havilland DH.103 Hornet ,the ultimate piston engined fighter. In many ways represents the peak of piston-engine fighter design. With its slim fuselage, clean lines and tightly cowled engines, great attention was paid from the outset on maximising performance.
Designed around the successful wooden construction principals of the DH98 Mosquito, the DH103 Hornet was powered by a pair of "slim" 2,070 hp Merlin engines driving opposite-handed propellers . (that didnt Mosquito..) unusual for a British design in having propellers that rotated in opposite directions ..

It got other wings, more similar to the Hawker Tempest & Mustang, and changed canopy, the two things easiest to see was different from the Mosquito. pilots said it had exeptional handling, and called it "Hot Rod Mosquito". It was smaller, lighter, and had more power.

I started building, from a 3d view drawing as base.... in one or other way (or since medicined? ;)) the size didnt get as planned... Here it will be 1100mm long, wingspan of 1300mm+ (approx. 20% over idea..) well, doesnt matter, just to make outer wings detachable. The motor"pods" is both as two Mustang mini planes..:rolleyes:

This will be a longer build. Im empty of foamboard, dont have the motors eg i want for this and such. With christmas around the corner, packages got delayed extra.

View attachment 186280
This one has been in my build que for awhile. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on it!

leaded50

Legendary member
I wish could build it when u release the plans...but I can't afford 2 motors
unsure if gonna give any plans.... its buildt "on the go".... and individual fit of each part, without made copys for plans.... sorry enough.

approx. $15 for two 2830 motors at Banggood

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
If you look at other Merlin powered aircraft it does demonstrate what could be done with 'close cowling', although it did require quite a bit of modification to the position of the engine accessories to do it.
It is also easy to see why although not adopted by the RAF is was used by the Navy. Superb cockpit visibility, no engine torque swing, twin engine safety (it could easily loop and roll on one), could take off without a catapult and had considerable endurance, a feature very lacking in early jets.
Looking forward to your build.

synjin

Elite member
I've been looking at this plane as a design/build challenge for a while. I still need to build my Master Series build technique skills before a build like this. Great work on this! Can't wait to see the finished model.

leaded50

Legendary member
detach reinforcing for the outer wingparts is done, and working with canopy. Canopy will also be removable, and an extra hatch (reciver/rear servos/flaps servo) a bit further back.
Canopy will be a touch lower at top bulge than original. (bottle was cutted a touch to small width.:cautious:) But profile get nice, just a touch sleeker though. :)

DSC_0542.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
a drawback today, where trying a before unused primer. It eat into the foam different places, even if carefully used. Sanding down, and use of a bit superlight wall filler, and just sprayfiller at end will fix it hopefully.

leaded50

Legendary member
"restored foam", and got the rear fuselage on. Also the reinforcing and detachable system for outer wings in place.
Rear fuselage is 600mm long, a pain to roll nice in 5mm foamboard. I needed insert a extra "V" at bottom, to get it workable , since also building without plans.

DSC_0544.JPG

Last edited: