de Havilland DH.103 Hornet

leaded50

Legendary member
made "scoop" outlets in tops skin to get heat from ESC out. Here also see battery compartment, and room for reciver, tail servo, eg.
DSC_0575.JPG

mastermalpass

Elite member

Very nice! And inspirational for me - I want to one day do a Mosquito. Specifically a Mosquito NF Mk.II, painted black, with the letters 'YP' of 23 squadron; My grandfather's plane!

I appreciate how happy the pilot looks to be in it. I also like the props and spinners, where'd you get those? In fact, what are the round-up specs on this plane? AUW, Prop Diam & Pitch, motor KV, Battery S-count, etc... etc..?

leaded50

Legendary member
Very nice! And inspirational for me - I want to one day do a Mosquito. Specifically a Mosquito NF Mk.II, painted black, with the letters 'YP' of 23 squadron; My grandfather's plane!

I appreciate how happy the pilot looks to be in it. I also like the props and spinners, where'd you get those? In fact, what are the round-up specs on this plane? AUW, Prop Diam & Pitch, motor KV, Battery S-count, etc... etc..?

Mosquito is pretty similar though, a bit fatter frontal fuselage (wider), another canopy, and minor changes at wing profile mainly. Orginally differences in sizes, but as RC depending on which scale buildt in. I suppose your grandfather did night flying that time, since that color :)

Props are org. part for Flight Line Liberator, 9.5 x 7 3blade, CV and CCW , i bought them from Motion RC EU (since live in Europa).
AUW (depending on battery) are 1400-1600g. 1400mm wingspan, 1005mm long. Spinners are standard 3 blade 50mm plastic type (dont remember where bought.. a local shop or ebay.).
I used two Racestar 2830 1300kv, on 40A ESC each, (can use 3 or 4 cell). Electric retracts, mechanical open/shut doors. Differential thrust setup + rudder. Met.gear 12g servos at tail for rudder and elevator, 9g plastic for ailerons and split flaps.
Detachable wings outside of motor nacelles.

Last edited:

mastermalpass

Elite member
Mosquito is pretty similar though, a bit fatter frontal fuselage (wider), another canopy, and minor changes at wing profile mainly. Orginally differences in sizes, but as RC depending on which scale buildt in. I suppose your grandfather did night flying that time, since that color :)

Props are org. part for Flight Line Liberator, 9.5 x 7 3blade, CV and CCW , i bought them from Motion RC EU (since live in Europa).
AUW (depending on battery) are 1400-1600g. 1400mm wingspan, 1005mm long. Spinners are standard 3 blade 50mm plastic type (dont remember where bought.. a local shop or ebay.).
I used two Racestar 2830 1300kv, on 40A ESC each, (can use 3 or 4 cell). Electric retracts, mechanical open/shut doors. Differential thrust setup + rudder. Met.gear 12g servos at tail for rudder and elevator, 9g plastic for ailerons and split flaps.
Detachable wings outside of motor nacelles.

I see! I guess it's a matter of seeing what's available at the time for nice props like that. Wide-chorded blades with yellow tips and other nice styles only seem to be made specifically for store-bought models. Master Air-screw and other more general purpose props often seem more simplistic (which might actually be better functionally, I don't know) in their designs. Plus, I cannot fit my 50mm spinner over my Master Air Screw 11x7 - an 11" prop and a 50mm spinner being the specific scales of a Hurricane I'm designing.

Your Hornet sounds like its got a nice set up on it! Not sure if will have the same loop and roll abilities with one prop 'feathered' like the original, but I'm sure will still be a blast. Looking forward to a maiden vid! :)

leaded50

Legendary member
I see! I guess it's a matter of seeing what's available at the time for nice props like that. Wide-chorded blades with yellow tips and other nice styles only seem to be made specifically for store-bought models. Master Air-screw and other more general purpose props often seem more simplistic (which might actually be better functionally, I don't know) in their designs. Plus, I cannot fit my 50mm spinner over my Master Air Screw 11x7 - an 11" prop and a 50mm spinner being the specific scales of a Hurricane I'm designing.

Your Hornet sounds like its got a nice set up on it! Not sure if will have the same loop and roll abilities with one prop 'feathered' like the original, but I'm sure will still be a blast. Looking forward to a maiden vid! :)

It isnt difficult find available parts for ready planes..
The 50mm spinner should go even at your prop.. depending if the propcenter are not too thick, or the propmount goes to far out. My motors do have 8mm propmount.

Thanks @mastermalpass . hopefully it flies with a blast yes :D