Delaminating

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So, my Tiny Trainer Speed Build kit came in a couple days ago. I've built the Powerpod, the fuselage and the tail. I'm having a problem with the paper delaminating from the foam when I pop the pieces out. I've even started cutting the connecting-points and the paper is still coming off.

I've learned I can reattach pretty successfully (I hope) with some painters masking tape (to mask around the area) and some Loctite Multipurpose Spray Adhesive.

Is this a common issue or am I doing something wrong, and have I chosen the correct method of repair?

d8veh

Elite member
I use a scalpel, which you can buy from EBay/Amazon, to cut all the holding tags before pressing out. I think you just have to be careful.

Chappie66

I use a scalpel, which you can buy from EBay/Amazon, to cut all the holding tags before pressing out. I think you just have to be careful.
Likewise I use an Exacto or other sharp utility knife to cut the connecting tabs, and then am rather careful in removing the pieces. If they are tight and do not "pop" out easy, I will trace the entire outline with the knife. And of course if it delaminates, it does happen, a little bead of hot glue and squeegee it off pushing it into the foam and paper.

Bricks

Master member
If you are trying to build light as lighter flies better I would use other glue then hot glue to tack down the paper. Even gluing my DTF together I seldom use hot glue just for that reason.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What I have been doing is dressing my edges with an emery board used for finger nails the brushing all exposed edges with white gorilla wood glue. I overlap the foam by a few mm and that makes a protective cap all around.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What I have been doing is dressing my edges with an emery board used for finger nails the brushing all exposed edges with white gorilla wood glue. I overlap the foam by a few mm and that makes a protective cap all around.
That sounds like a good way to seal the edges. That sounds like a better idea than smearing hot glue over all the exposed foam, which I was about to do. (Bix loves his hotglue.) By "dressing" do you mean bringing the foam back, so there is more paper to fold over? Is there a video of this procedure somewhere?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just sand the paper back to meet the foam that shrunk during laser cutting. In the case of scratch building I do it as well to smooth all the edges.

You can shape the edge as you please really as the gorilla glue makes like a rubberized edge that soaks into the paper nicely.

If I remember I will turn on a camera when I do the edges on a replacement wing I am nearly finished.