• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DIY cowl?

Hey guys, long story short I have an AT-6 Texan that had a slight spill which broke the prop and cowling. The cowl was pretty much irreparable, and I only see one site Online that carries them. The part is only about $1.60, but shipping is almost 15 bucks. The plane only cost me $99 on sale for the brushless/lipo version, so I rather just come up with a DIY method if it looks good. Here is a link to the plane, you guys have any suggestions? I've been looking for lightweight bottles and containers that I can just cut and paint, but nothing is really fitting the bill so far. What do you guys think?

http://www.lanyuhobby.com/viewProduct_en.asp?flowNo=310

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
At a glance either a plastic bowl or lid of a container would possibly be an acceptable substitute. If you are in the USA go to a dollar store and look around. What is the base diameter?

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
look around for a bowl... :D

can you make one out of depron maybe? You should be able to sand it smooth to the right shape...

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Could you make a slug that you could put fleese and then coat it with resin? Make your own Fiberglass part. And when it beaks again you can build another

earthsciteach

One of the easiest methods is to make a plug, place a water or soda bottle over it and heat it up with a heat gun. The plastic will shrink to the shape of the plug.

This is one of the most simple solutions ive found and if i had an extra cowl to use to make a plug, I'd certainly do this. For now, I've found a container of Popcorn kernels in my pantry that I can cut and use. I'll keep you posted on the progress. It's not an exact match, but it'll do

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
One of the easiest methods is to make a plug, place a water or soda bottle over it and heat it up with a heat gun. The plastic will shrink to the shape of the plug.

That has to be the best use of old soda bottles! I might even try to rebuild the front of my sky hunter with that idea!!!!
oh and that 10 times cheaper then my idea

robschonk

2L soda bottles are 4"dia. They used to come with plastic collars on the bottom that might work.

image.jpg

You could even take the bottom of a fluted bottle and paint cylinder heads on it....:eek:

Ya know you're gonna break it again, anyway. :cool:

Mu Super Cub cowl is mostly packing tape now.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

You can make your own plug quite easily from scrap wood. I sanded this one using a small, hand held belt sander. It was used for my first scratch-built. The wing loading was too high and it was too small for all of the electronics and battery. I'll make a larger version one of these days. Its roughly based on the Globe-Temco Swift.

I had to use wood filler to smooth it out because one of my labrador retrievers decided it looked like a nice chew toy. :eek:

Attachments