DIY (sort of) Li-ion battery reuse: options for old laptop batteries.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If you have old laptop batteries, or old lithium ion powered hand tools, some of the older ones use 18650 sized lithium ion (Li-ion) or lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) cells.

Well, I had a whole bunch that I was getting rid of because they were taking up space and presented a slight fire hazard. While I recycled most of them, I kept one pack that was the newest, but still old (over 5 years old) and not usable for the laptop it was intended to power anymore. The laptop was a Dell Latitude D610. The pack has a 6 cell pack and the plastic case was easily disassembled and the individual cells removed.

They are spot welded together with some charging electronics, but easily separated with a careful use of a needle nose plier to sort of wrap and roll the spot welded contacts from the batteries, leaving just barely any tiny leftover nubs on the cells contact pads.

When I tested each cell, I had two that measured 3.8V and the rest were around 2V. I decided that meant I could easily make a 2S TX or video RX pack that might be close to the 2500mAh capacity of each cell!

The specs for each cell: (2350mAh capacity, 1428mAh max charge rate)
http://www.rosebatteries.com/pdfs/Panasonic CGR18650D.pdf

I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172128319128?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Some 22 AWG silicon wire, a 3 pin JST male connector (with the appropriate female pins) and a XT60 battery side connector (male connector with female bullets) to make a 2S 18650 pack that allows me to swap in and out individual cells.

I'm terrible with graphics and photos, but decided even a terrible picture is worth many more poorly constructed words, so here's how it was setup:

18650_2s_setup.png

The end of the red/black wires went to the discharge connector (in my case a XT60 since I had them handy and my DIY Quanum V2 FPV goggles have a XT60 on them and this pack will primarily power that).

This will replace the old fatshark 2S battery I was using which only gives me about 30 minutes of use due to the small 750mAh size and the fact that my VRX is a combo VRX/DVR which coupled with the largish screen of the V2 goggle, eats up the 750mAh 2S battery to a point where I can power the screen, but not the VRX after about 30 minutes of use.

Last edited: