DJI Phantom 4 Autoland Override

fsteele64

So earlier today I was flying my Phantom 4 around, when I realized that the colder weather drastically degrades the performance of the Phantom's battery. Was out a little too far, and realized I couldn't bring her home. I originally took off at the end of a hayfield, and flew out past the field, eventually reaching a stretch of about 3/4ths of a mile of thick forest. There's a road on the other side, to which I normally fly much farther than. Things went south when I was about 2 miles out.

I made it back to that road, and knew of a clearing to which I could fly to before the battery ran out. I flew there, and set the Phantom to auto land. It was at about 22% battery when I initiated the auto-land. Slowly my beloved Phantom descended below the treeline, to which its connection with me was interrupted, and my video and control links dropped out. At that point it was on its own.

My question is, if the pilot initiates the auto-land, will the Phantom override that command and put itself into return-to-home mode and try to fly itself back if it loses connection with the transmitter? I went to that clearing to retrieve the Phantom, and discovered that there wasn't anything there. I know for a fact it wasn't stolen, because there's about 50 acres of corn and hay surrounding the clearing. Only a small road connects the central clearing with the legitimate public road. Nobody's even around to see it fly over. Plus, I was at the clearing within 10 minutes of losing connection with it. I took the exact GPS coordinates from the DJI app, and went to that spot. Nothing there. I called 4 people to help search the area for nearly 3 hours in attempt to find it- we didn't. The last bit of information I have before it disconnected is that the battery was at 17%, it was descending by itself from 743 feet (come at me FAA), its last GPS coordinates, I was 6,584 feet away, and that it was in landing mode.

I'm thinking it overrided my auto-land command and tried to fly itself home, hit critically low battery, and auto landed somewhere. It couldn't have gotten very far with only 7% battery left, especially on a cold battery (it automatically lands at 10% battery, right?). I took the coordinates of the home point, and the last coordinates from where it was auto-landing under my command, and connected a line between the two. If it tried to fly back, it should be somewhere along that line, correct? The coordinates are accurate, because I was 6,584 feet away when it lost connection, and my line is 6,583.98 feet long.

Thanks!

-Franklin

Cereal_Killer

Oh man, if nothing else treat this as a lesson to NEVER trust auto modes in an emergency.

IBCrazy is the biggest proponent if this, if you've ever watched any of his long range videos he tries to beat it into your head NEVER TO ENGAGE RTL / Autoland for any reason.

Sorry to say but had you manually landed (even though yes you would of lost video the last 40') it would be sitting exactly where you expected it to be... maybe a broken prop or two and tipped on its side, but there none the less.

fsteele64

My issue was that I had no other choice. I was over 6,500 feet away, and lost both control and video at 750 feet, when trees got in the way. There was no way I could've manually landed it at that distance.

Darkback2

Fsteele64...

Hopefully all is well and you can find your quad, though given the range of over a mile it may take you a while. Don't forget to look up in trees as you walk the line. I don't have one of the newer phantoms, but with the phantom 1 and the naza-m v2 you can turn off the low battery stuff connecting to it with a PC.

Hope that helps?

DB

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
My issue was that I had no other choice. I was over 6,500 feet away, and lost both control and video at 750 feet, when trees got in the way. There was no way I could've manually landed it at that distance.

You always have a choice. You and only you are responsible for anything you launch.

Let it drop like a rock. At least you get it back and it can't fly off and hit someone. Once the robot is in control, you and your home owner's insurance are at the robot's mercy.

Set failsafe to kill the rotors and disarm. Once the rotors stop and the copter is disarmed, your liability is reduced. Once RSSI is lost you want the copter to reduce your liability as quickly as possible, that being a straight line to the ground and disarmed. Since we never fly over people this is the safest failsafe plan.

Put your name and number on the machine and put a buzzer on it to call out to you from the tall grass. Use a DVR to record FPV transmissions so you can reply and get a better idea of where it went down.