Do you need an FCC license for FPV?

Mauijoe98

I have been interested in FPV and would like to get into it, but I have a question as to which is the system to start with , price? Goggles or screen? But one question that I find coming up do you need a licence from the FCC to legally use FPV gear? Some say yes , some say no. So please tell me which one is correct.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yes.

Cue the flood of posts regarding the exceptions to the answer above . . .

bitogre

As Dan indicated, you need a HAM license unless you use transmitters that falls under one of the exceptions. It is up to you to make sure the transmitter you use qualifies and it is not always easy to find the fine print that lets you know if it does or not.

But, to be safe, I'd get the license. It is not expensive and it is not too hard to pass the test. Also, with the license, then you can use any FPV transmitter instead of being limited to transmitters that qualifies for the exception.

Also notice that I refer to the transmitter that must qualify for the exception. Really, it is the transmitter and the antenna on the transmitter combination that must qualify but it is only the TX side that has to fit into the exception. Any receiver that works with the TX side can be used. So, if you have an transmitter that fits into the exception, you can use any compatible goggles or grand station you want.

BTW, the few transmitters that I know of that fix into the exception have the antenna soldered to the transmitter so that you can not easily change the antenna. Changing the antenna may cause the transmission system to no longer fit into the exception. So be careful when using equipment you think fits into the exception or just be safe and get the HAM license.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
If a 6 year old can get the license (and many have) then there is no excuse not to IMHO. It would only take one FCC fine to ruin a hobby entirely if not an entire family's financial well being. ;)

Thurmond

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Everyone's said all that needs to be said, but I'd also add that getting a HAM license will only help you with success in FPV because you'll understand what the equipment is doing better. In fact, I dare say it'll help you not just in this hobby, but also in general life. You really can't get away from RF devices these days!

Mauijoe98

Thank you all for your help, just need to find how to take the test , how much , and where to do it

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If you're super motivated, when you take the tech test, you might as well study for and take the general test as well. I paid $15 for my test administered by BARC and didn't know about that. They suggested I take the general test if only to practice. Two tests for the price of one!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Dan is evil. You didn't even explain you answer. :)

Evil? Sometimes, but today, Dan is lazy . . . I figured, hit the high point so there is no confusion, and let somebody else explain the exceptions that everybody gets lost on.

Bitogre did a splendid job on that :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Go to http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session to search for local exams near you. You can then contact the group offering the exam to get the additional information you will need.

And since the OP had his location listed I'll go one better...looks like the next test near him is 1/17:

http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/renton-wa-98055-2127-75

Plenty of time to get ready! Hit qrz.com and do some practice tests, or arrl.com for some additional study materials. Calling the group doing the testing wouldn't hurt either as they'll probably have more assistance and local information that could help.

Basscor

the Nano QX falls under one of those Exceptions mentioned above, in this case it is a transmitted power level. It should be under 25mW if I am not mistaken. FatShark also has an FCC exempt combo, which is at or under the 25mW level

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
the Nano QX falls under one of those Exceptions mentioned above, in this case it is a transmitted power level. It should be under 25mW if I am not mistaken. FatShark also has an FCC exempt combo, which is at or under the 25mW level

Yes, a reported 25mW VTX on the NanoQX. I just got one of those, and with a 5 turn helical antenna and RHCP "mad mushroom" on a diversity VRX, I'm able to fly all around my apartment/flat with multiple walls in between my ground station and the NanoQX. A friend can fly around his home with a single VRX and a patch and can go between rooms on different floors of his home.

You don't need a lot of power!

MrClean

So, according to the first 10 posts which consist of either emphatically yes OR why not the last three posts point out that there are manufactured equipment sold that are FCC compatible with no license. Ha, one of the emphatics even said something to the point that the antennae needs to be permanently mounted. Strange my legal fatsharks have a screw on antennae.
The answer really is, it depends. You are responsible for picking and using equipment that is legal for your level of license. You can go buy someone a HAM transmitter but if YOU use it, you're breaking the law. Same here. How many of you went out and got a HAM license to fly that Cub looking thing you got at the toy store? Most people didn't because it was produced and sold under the same idea and rules, no license needed. When I started in this hobby you HAD to have a Citizens Band license (KBPN 5902). No longer, unless I wanted to use HAM frequencies and equipment. (and of course, that's a different license)

So, if you want to do something completely different from the rest and be an informed consumer, study the equipment you want to use and see if you have to have a license to use it.

Honestly, if you have time and would like to give the HAM thing a try it's really easy now and getting a General isn't that hard either, most people should be capable of it. But they do require you learn the rules and your knowledge of being able to look them up. Past this application and a couple other specific uses I've no desire to do the HAM thing of communicating around the world with my shack. It's interesting but just not something I want to use my time for. After all I have the internet to do that with WITH an added benefit that I can type, edit and then send my message. You think I look stupid now, just talk to me live. The emphatic answer of YES!!! Why NOT!?!? looks a little desperate "PLEASE JOIN MY CLUB". When the actual answer is just a bit longer.

If you have the time though, it's not hard to get a license and it will open up more capabilities and equipment for you. A HAM FPV web site with links to the standard practice tests, equipment and setup forums would probably be a good idea.

Now, go to that link, read through the material and take a practice test or two then contact your local group about taking the test.
Have fun.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So, according to the first 10 posts which consist of either emphatically yes OR why not the last three posts point out that there are manufactured equipment sold that are FCC compatible with no license. Ha, one of the emphatics even said something to the point that the antennae needs to be permanently mounted. Strange my legal fatsharks have a screw on antennae.

Until a few months ago there really was nothing on the market that was legal. The 25mw FCC approved TX's are a recent entry into the market.

The antenna being permanently mounted isn't a requirement on the RX, only on the TX. You can put a better antenna on your RX all you want as it doesn't affect anyone else and their ability to use the spectrum. But when you change the antenna on a TX you change the radiated power and then you potentially do affect other users - which is why part 15 licensed gear (which is what the unlicensed stuff is) generally has a requirement that the antenna be permanently mounted.

Power is generally overrated as makattack demonstrated. Just tossing more power into a TX is generally the lease effective way to solve a communications issue. Improving the antenna/feedline/transmission system or moving to a better frequency/band or improving the quality of the RX and even the TX are all things that usually make a bigger difference.

(Note - that's not just true on radio, it applies to most things. Making a vehicle lighter and more efficient generally makes it perform better than simply increasing the power of the motor for example.)

That said 25mw is fine for something like a nanoQX or a small park flier. But for what most people think of when they think FPV it's not going to give them the kind of range they're expecting even with a high gain antenna on a tracker.

The answer really is, it depends. You are responsible for picking and using equipment that is legal for your level of license. You can go buy someone a HAM transmitter but if YOU use it, you're breaking the law. Same here. How many of you went out and got a HAM license to fly that Cub looking thing you got at the toy store? Most people didn't because it was produced and sold under the same idea and rules, no license needed. When I started in this hobby you HAD to have a Citizens Band license (KBPN 5902). No longer, unless I wanted to use HAM frequencies and equipment. (and of course, that's a different license)

Yes, it does depend :) There are ways to get your feet wet with FPV without getting a license, but they're limited. The comparison to buying an off the shelf RC toy isn't really a good one as while there are RC control options that require a license they're far from mainstream or common. FPV is the inverse where the mainstream common methods used all require a license and there are just now starting to be some smaller limited options for unlicensed operation.

FWIW - When I got my first new CB it still had the form to send in for a license - though by that time the requirement had been dropped. Still it was recently enough dropped that the license forms were still included, to date me a touch ;)

So, if you want to do something completely different from the rest and be an informed consumer, study the equipment you want to use and see if you have to have a license to use it.

It makes me weep for society that being an informed consumer is considered being different from the rest :(