Help! Does this motor work?

mastermalpass

Elite member

mastermalpass

Elite member
Ooh, how big is this plane? 8x6 props are typically for (what I consider to be) medium sized planes that want 1600kv motors and 30a ESCs. Most planes of that size will fly with a 6 inch prop but you want the headroom, ideally.

Magne

It is because i have a plane that weighs 400 grams and the thrust a 8x6 prop can make is 800 gram.
I already have a 6x4 prop at home and wanted to know if i can use that one even if it is not recommend for the motor.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I already have a 6x4 prop at home and wanted to know if i can use that one even if it is not recommend for the motor.
A prop, smaller than recommend, is perfectly fine to use on a motor. A prop, larger than recommend, may cause the motor to draw too many amps and over heat.

mastermalpass

Elite member
It is because i have a plane that weighs 400 grams and the thrust a 8x6 prop can make is 800 gram.
I already have a 6x4 prop at home and wanted to know if i can use that one even if it is not recommend for the motor.

400 grams is in the low mediums for me. 6x4 prop will be fine there - my RC Powers park jets use that. But after a couple minutes of flight, I recommend you touch down and feel how hot that 20A ESC is getting. The ESC is the bottleneck in this set up.

Weight is one factor - drag is another. My latest parkjet doesn't weigh much more than my previous one, but there is more drag (the wing's 50% thicker), which demands much more power. Fortunately the ESC is a 35A.