Drone wars

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
As far as I know, multirotors are still in the gray area where they can sometimes be referenced to simply as "aircraft". So in cases like this, the shooter may actually end up getting a darn steep fine.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Since the FAA has redefined our toys as "Aircraft" then shooting one down is a felony just like shooting down any "aircraft".
If they want to define our toys as "aircraft" then we deserve the exact same legal protection as any "aircraft"! IMHO!

Thurmond

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Here's the CNET version of the article

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/man-shoots-down-drone-hovering-000032027.html

I suspect he was not arrested for shooting down the drone but for firing a gun in a residential area.

That said it its probably some realtor trying to get a uchoob of a house about to be up for sale. If so it's a commercial operation and they should have notified the neighbors what they were going to do imo. Still the guy is obviously a twit. They were probably standing right there and he could have just walked out and talked to them.

Not sure what the "so-called enthusiasts" phrase so supposed to imply. That some people flying drone are not enthusiastic and are, well, just droning around cause they have to?

Last edited:

Longbaorder23

It upsets me so much when people just see you flying and *immediately* assume youre dumb, irresponsible, and "over their property". I would like the FAA to generate almost a licensing system or something, wouldn't it be nice to show a stupid complainer that youre a licensed card holder, and to tell them that youre doing everything right? This kind of stuff is literally in the news so often now its almost alarming... I feel like the FAA might just like, shut down all flights of any kind, atleast until its been figured out.

Relating back to the topic, why do people keep just thinking, "oh ill go grab my double barrel and take care of it" Those failed attempts at keeping the peace with normal hobbyists should be more publicised. If they knew theyd get a fat fine for it, it wouldnt happen as much. In all my situations though, ive had calm people just simply ask me to "not fly here" or "avoid that tree because its in my lawn", and i respect those people with their calm and responsible problem solving. If only people weren't so stubborn and hateful...

airhawk

Crashing Ace
my local news station is interviewing so paranoid guy who doesnt want "drones" spying on him the sensationalism continues i thought the news was calming down but how do you guys deal with this

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
my local news station is interviewing so paranoid guy who doesnt want "drones" spying on him the sensationalism continues i thought the news was calming down but how do you guys deal with this

There is controversy in everything and in every hobby. Unless you take up knitting or something.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
There is controversy in everything and in every hobby. Unless you take up knitting or something.

But the weave holds secret messages from the Devil to the Cathars about taking over the world!

. . . and ugly sweaters!

. . . and don't get me started on wool vs. polyester!!!!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
But the weave holds secret messages from the Devil to the Cathars about taking over the world!

. . . and ugly sweaters!

Uhm.... you had to go there... without mentioning the sometimes deadly rivalry between knitters and crocheters. There's a shop a few blocks away from my home called "JP Knit and Stitch" where the police have been seen in the area due to the prevalence of random jousting matches between those hobbyists.

Edited to add: Yes, they joust while mounted on their feline steads who normally sit on their laps during their build sessions.

Last edited:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot

. . . and ugly sweaters!

Uhm.... you had to go there... without mentioning the sometimes deadly rivalry between knitters and crocheters. There's a shop a few blocks away from my home called "JP Knit and Stitch" where the police have been seen in the area due to the prevalence of random jousting matches between those hobbyists.

Edited to add: Yes, they joust while mounted on their feline steads who normally sit on their laps during their build sessions.

You guys are killing me ROFL.gif

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot

9th incident? So if flying a toy is considered an "incident" how can I take them seriously? If my toddler nephew shoves his toy truck into a wall, should that be included in the national highway safety administration statistical crash data of 2015?

I'm making note of this article. You know someone is going to mention an incident count. When people think of "drone" they think of AP platforms or larger multi-rotors...not toys. They will hear 9 incidents and think 9 DJI phantoms...or nine $10,000 AP octocopters.

I'm not condoning his actions, I'm annoyed that the media took off with this to further their anti-drone agenda.