DSM2 to DSMX conversion

Tcbrady

I recently picked up a dx7 as an upgrade to my dx6i. I needed a 3 position switch and couldn't get aux 2 to work with my multirotors. Found a dx7 in amazing condition for a steal. I didn't realize until I got home, it is an original dx7 that is only dsm2(maybe not such a steal.) In my Google searching i came across an old YouTube video taking about getting their dx7 upgraded to dsmx. I also see that taranis owners are harvesting rf modules to add dsmx to their radios.
I looked under the petty coats of the radios and I see the module in question. I'm hoping someone on the forum here knows if its as simple as soldering a dsmx module into my dx7 radio. If so, will a dx4e module work? Or is there an even cheaper option?

Bricks

Master member
Unless you fly in a area that has a bunch of other RC flyers I would not worry about it. That was the only problem with DSM2 was when many many other DSM2 planes were in the air at one time would loose signal ie Flight Test get together Almost all Spektrum and after market receivers are backwards compatible.

Tcbrady

Thank you for your response. I'm not concerned with interference or signal loss. I bought a couple new spm4650 receivers that do not seem to be DSM2 backwards compatible (according to horizon.) The goal is simply make the radio compatible with all my aircraft. I was also hoping when I bought the dx7 it would be a replacement for the dx6i. As nice as it is to have a buddy box... I would rather sell the 6i and get a 4e for a trainer. Bonus points if I can swap in the 4e rf module and kill 3 birds with 1 stone.

Bricks

Master member
I would try and bind up the spm4650 receiver just to see if it does work more out of curiosity then anything as of yet I have not run into any receiver not backwards compatible, maybe I have just been lucky.