Dual Motor Planes

TaylChad

Hello ... As FliteTest themselves have not shown how to setup a dual motor plane (that I am aware of) could anybody help me with instructions on how to set one up that also uses differential thrust as a rudder. Thanks.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Taylchad,

Welcome to the forum!

quite a bit of it is going to depend on your radio gear (we might be able to help with that if we knew what you're using), but from a basic wiring side, it's pretty simple, and the concepts for the radio gear aren't hard.

To wire up the differential, simply plug in you standard flight contorls to each channel, then remove the red lead (center) from the second ESC's plug, cover with tape, and plug the connector wiht the remaining two wires into an aux channel. It can get more complex from there if you want to do somethign fancy, but that's the basics.

The concept for the radio is a bit more complicated, and the details will differ between radios, but the goal is to mix the rudder stick into the throttle's output, then mix both the throttle and negitive rudder into the slected aux's output. there are tricks/shortcuts/games you can play, depending on your gear, but a basic radio setup will require those mixes: Rud->Thr, Thr->Aux, (-)Rud->Aux.

*If* your radio can't do it, you can use a v-tail mixer module on the airframe -- hook the module's "Elevator" input to throttle, and "Aileron" input to rudder, then left elevon to the left motor, right elevon to the right.

Naturally, whatever method you try, test it first on the ground . . . *WITHOUT* props.

TaylChad

Thanks for all the help my receiver is a HobbyKing HK6S (one of the ones recommended for use with the swappable series) I am not sure if it is programmable for the mixing. Thanks for all the help!