Duplicating a speed build kit onto blank foam board

randyrls

Randy
I bought a speed build kit, but rather than putting it together, I thought of using it for a template to make a new one out of blank foam board (FB).

I want a cutter to cut along the template and into the FB underneath. I found a cutter by FoamWerks (sp correct) WC-6010 that I think will fit the bill. It can cut at variable depth and both vertical cuts and 45 degree bevels. It may or may not work for cutting bevels in control surfaces and wing leading edges.

I next want a a scoring tool that will cut the rabbets for folds and joins. Didn't see anything that would fit the bill. A small block with a blade on the edge of the block with a guide of plastic so the blade and guide are separated by the thickness of the FB is what I intend to make.

Am I overthinking this????

Any suggestions are appreciated and expected.

Let the brainstorming begin!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You can make one by sticking a razor blade to some sort of block so that only some of the razor blade sticks down and can cut the foam. From there, adjust depth of cut as you like. :)

647hotrod

Rookie Pilot/Builder
I just use a big knife. After about 4 planes you get pretty good with it. (Don't do this at home) I stick the blade all the way out for straighter cuts. And sometimes hold it like a pencil for fine details. Just be careful. Don't cut yourself unless you plan to paint your planes red.

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
You're probably overthinking it. :p

I've used tool like that before, including 3d printing my own, and they don't end up saving that much time. Tracing out a new kit from a speed build set is a fantastic idea - just trace them out in mechanical pencil and use pushpins to mark things like reference lines and skewer locations. I've built a whole fleet of Versa wings from my original speed build kit that way.

Just make sure you have a sharp #11 XActo blade and a single-edge razor blade for bevels - those are the only tools I've found work consistently and easily.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I use normal razor blades for cutting the foam. No handles no anything to get in the way. For score cutting like control surfaces I cut the paper and half way into the foam with the blade. Then I take a broken prop that I have rounded the tip on and run that in the slot down to the paper. Works perfectly every time and I have yet to cut thru the paper on a hinge or fold. It also works perfectly for cleaning out the little channels where joints are done. The slight curve lets you get under the foam and all it takes is a little rocking as you slide along the channel to pop out the foam. Once everything is done I take one of them foam nail files with the emery paper I get at the dollar store and sand all exposed edges and corners with paper to paper that is not quite perfect to the shape I want. after that any exposed foam and edges of paper get a dry coating of Gorrilla white wood glue and it is ready for priming with sandable auto primer then for paint.

Here is a pic of the SE 5 I just did that shows how clean the edges are as well as the fact you cant see the gorilla glue coating.
Notice how the leading edges of the wings look verses the leading edge of the struts where I forgot to file them before installation.

Front angled.jpg

randyrls

Randy
use pushpins to mark things like reference lines and skewer locations. I've built a whole fleet of Versa wings from my original speed build kit that way.

I had thought of using colored sharpie markers for different score, cut, and bevel cuts. I have t-pins. When pushed into the foam board, I can put my ruler against them to make accurate cuts.

Just make sure you have a sharp #11 XActo blade and a single-edge razor blade for bevels - those are the only tools I've found work consistently and easily.

Thanks for the info. I will pursue this. For now, I need to do some domestic stuff.

randyrls

Randy
after that any exposed foam and edges of paper get a dry coating of Gorrilla white wood glue and it is ready for priming with sandable auto primer then for paint.

That is a good idea. I think Elmers white glue will work as well.

Timmy P

I think you could just trace the Speed Built kit onto some PosterBoard. Then you can use the posterboard templates to trace onto foamboard endless times? Thats what I did 4 years ago with an F22.. I just used the same templates for my buddies plane at FFe17

Last edited: