Durafly Warbirds

John Campbell

I have the P-51 which is a great flyer... Looking into getting the rest of them.... When I have more bucks... Would like to get the 4 pack :)

Just received the NTM 35-36A 910kv motor with the optional accessory pack.

It's almost a direct fit for the current motor. All that's needed is to increase the hole in the cowl by about 1mm. The screws line up perfectly to where it was mounted before.

I chose this motor because at a max amps of 38 it closely aligns to the ESC. 910kv is a nice increase from 750kv but hopefully the good efficiency of the motor will mean the max amps won't increase much and in flight I'll be able to fly with less throttle and thus it will be more efficient. When I finish installing it tonight I'll test with a watt meter which will give me a good indication.

Note that there were two basic options for getting a bit more speed. One was to go to a 4S battery and the other was to replace the motor. I chose to replace the motor as I wasn't wanting ballistic speed, just an increase of around 10 -20%. Also the motor is cheaper than a new ESC and I like being able to use 3S 2200mah batteries as they are cheap.

Here's a photo of the two motors so you can see they're the same size. Photo 13-03-12 12 58 05 PM.jpg

Okay just installed my NTM motor and had a test fly. The Watt meter showed that I was pulling 26 amps with my 11 x 8 Turnigy wood prop, up from about 23 amps previously. This was about what I was expecting so I was pleased.
Took it up for a flight out the front of my house and I estimate it had approx 10 - 15% more power. Again this is what I was wanting. This meant that it still flew quite scale but I had a little bit more oomph to pull out of manouevers.
I fly over a lake at the front of my house, but can only land from one direction and have to fly between trees to get there so the only bummer was that the wind was blowing to the side and slightly from behind so I had to come in pretty hot which loosened the retracts.

Attached is the photo of the wood prop. Getting a Master Airscrew 11 x 10 this week so can compare that as well.
Photo 13-03-12 4 54 35 PM.jpg