Duster gone bad/ lesson learned

brian79cj

Ok so I decided to jump in a scratch build and chose the Duster. On the third attempt to get it right, learning how to cut, not liking how it was going together, polyurethaning the board before cutting. I guess I should have watched the videos more and tips. After scrapping all of that I finally had a plane I thought was good. Here comes another lesson. I painted, decal everything. Looked awesome. Well that didn't last long. Maiden flight ended in a nose plant in a corn field. All of about 30 seconds. Took off and pulled very hard to the left. Banked right, inverted and plunk right into field. Was way out of control. I'm afraid that there is too much glue and crooked now to fly, plus its down right ugly now. Tried to do a rolling take off and back down. Broken prop. Out off props now, have to order more. So the biggest lesson learned NEVER make it look all pretty before you actually fly it. I'm pretty discouraged now and leery of starting another one.

Tactical Ex

Is this your first plane? I usually leave out stuff on experiments, including channels, many of my experiments start off bank and yank then get a rudder later when the concept is proven. I don't even think about decorations until its a tested platform.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
If you are put off of building, consider buying an ARF or PNP trainer. These planes will come almost completely ready to fly, and you'll be assured that construction mistakes aren't getting in the way of your flying. A scratch-build as a first plane is brave and ambitious, especially if you don't have an experienced mentor to help you be sure things are as they should be. Don't let it get you down. Find another way into the hobby! If you haven't already done this, spend some time on the simulator. RC Desk Pilot is free and will probably work with your existing transmitter.

Before you maiden a new plane, it is a good idea to do a power-off-glide test. Hand-launch the plane with the battery in, but don't give it any throttle. If you have major issues like CG problems or control surfaces way off, you will discover this while the plane is going relatively slow, and damage should be minimal. On the glide test, don't give too much up elevator, because the plane will just stall (unless it is a glider, that is) but give a smidge of up elevator and confirm that the plane more or less glides smoothly, without wild pitch changes or hard roll to one side or the other. Once the plane glides nicely to a relatively soft landing (it probably won't be perfect, because it's dead-stick) you can start thinking about giving it power.

ViperTech

I built the duster and sorry to say, I hate it! I just hate it! way too twitcy, I even turned the rates way down to 40/40 DR/Expo. It was not my first plane either and my son built one and he crashed it in 30 seconds then he built a second one and after 5 times crashing it he finally was able to run a couple batteries thru it. My son is a good pilot he has a spitfire and a mustang, ft-22, and i have watched him fly that spit fire 10 inches off the ground and touch the wing tip on the grass as he turns and not wreck so I don't know what is up with that duster!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The ailerons are WAY to big on the duster. Make another one and move the servo further down the wing and cut the aileron size in half.

..or built a spitfire and never worry about the duster again. :)

RoyBro

Mentor
If you want a good first experience with scratch building, try the FT Flyer. It's simple, easy to build and very forgiving. I think it is hands down, the best first plane you can build. Forget about water proofing it, or painting it. I applied some colored packing tape to mine to help with orientation, but that was it.

Next try a slow flyer like the Old Fogey or Old Speedster. Build your confidence and avoid the frustration of putting all that work into an airframe only to destroy it on the first flight.

I can't understand why you guys don't like the duster!?!? It is one fun little plane! The thing rolls like a drill bit! It loops, spins, will almost knife edge (and probably would with the right person on the sticks), it has great inverted characteristics, it's an all purpose flyer. Is it a beginner plane, no way, but is it fun? Heck yes!! I like the spitfire, but the duster definitely has a place. It's like a mono wing blender. I haven't quite figured out how to make it flat spin, but it's likely just figuring out the throws because I am confident the airframe will do it. It does have a lot of aileron authority, but that is what makes it so fun. I have "the beef" power pack on mine and it is wonderfully overpowered! It would probably fly great with a 370 size motor, but more power equals more fun with this plane!

Robin

For my part, I really love the FT Duster.

I builded one, modifying the design to resemble a golden age racer. But without changing the general aerodynamic layout of the design.

I´ve build it from depron glued with UHU Por, which is quite a lot lighter than using posterboard and hot glue, but the coating with japanese paper and the gear added to the weight, so in the end it´s not much difference at all.

It flies straight where you want it to fly, even in windy conditions. Steering input is transformed into roll directly, yes, but if you get used to it, I find it a lot "safer" to fly, when the plane makes what you want it to make, when you you want it.

A thing which could make a difference is, that I added around ~ 3 inch to each wing to form nice rounded wingtips - which aren´t covered underneath, so you get a "slow-flyer aerofoil" there.

I did it mainly out of aesthetic reasons - but this aerodynamic wash out results in a plane, not twitchy at all. Direct, yes, but controllable, gentle. Hope you know what I mean.

Give it another try - I cant´compare it to an FT Spit as I have none, but I can compare it to many other foambuilds of mine and I really have to say, that the FT Duster is a design, which is really one of the best flying planes of them all.

In one word: Awesome

duster1.jpg

wp_20140830_11_33_38_pro.jpg

brian79cj

Well I fixed The Duster good enough to put it toward the sky. I had an experienced pilot take it off and trim it. He was doing a good job keeping it in the air. Now it's my turn. He took it off and got it 3 mistakes high and handed me the Tx. Wow I was all over the place but it stayed up. It was such an awesome feeling to see something I built flying. I should've been happy with that. He brought it down for landing and I wanted to see if I could take it off. 6 feet into the air and low battery cutout nose plant. Oh well, some more glue and another prop and up into the sky it goes. This new addiction of mine has me about 3/4 through the Storch build.

Tjhogg

I too love the duster I scratch built mine and used Baby Blender style turtle deck to make a speedster style plane. I have crashed this thing so much the tail wags in flight right behind the wing and she still fly's like a dream. Program flaperons in to the mix and its a blast to fly. I had people at FlightFest asking me what it was. Now its not for the faint of heart I crashed a ton getting the trimming just right but after that its a dream it was my first favorite plane until I got my bixler2 and Baby Blender