EDF Recommendations Help

wedgetailaus

Hi amazing FT community!

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for my first EDF jet.

I've not flow an EDF before but I'm a fairly capable pilot so I'm not worried about it 'beginner EDF' (though I can't imagine and EDF would ever be a good beginner plane).

I'm after something with a scale look. A military sort of thing! I don't want be yellow and green stripes. There seems to be a distinct lack of any military looking EDFs out there. Where are the hornets, euro typhoons, mig 29s, meteors, phantoms, f16s!?

Here are my goals:

Around the same size as an 1100mm prop driven warbird (I know wingspan, fuselage ratios are different on modern jets). The horizon hobby A-10 would be too small
Scale look
3s or 4s batteries
Foam
Retracts I can take or leave. My usual field/sports field has deepish grass so I may just end up belly landing anyway.

I like the sound of the Durafly Vampire. I only wish it had a rudder.
I also see there's a Dynam A-10 but I have no experience with Dynam so I don't know what their planes are like

So please, hit me with some ideas!

Revere

Are you looking for an RTF? If you want to try building one of your own check out NerdNic's A10 on here (I can recommend it as a good flier), building your own you can scale it to whatever size suits you which may be better since you want a specific size aircraft.

http://flitetest.com/articles/nna-10 <--- have a look and think about it.

I think there are EDF MIG15 plans around as well (possibly also from NerdNic?)

It's all down to your personal taste re scratchbuilt or RTF. Scratchbuilt will be easier to maintain and repair though, cheaper too.

I too would like to see a good foamie phantom, one of my favorite planes.

Last edited:

wedgetailaus

Definitely looking for a plug-n-fly type of deal. I'm after something that looks just like a real jet which is soaring towards combat! I don't want to build one myself because I'll never get it looking as good as something that comes out of a factory. I'm just wondering if there's anything out there besides the Durafly Vampire. I can't find much!