Edgewater FRIA application status

joelspangler

Many AMA clubs are starting to receive approval as FRIA sites. I'm a member of both the AMA and FTCA, and my local AMA club (Susquehanna Valley Modelers #954 in Danville, Pennsylvania) received approval today based on our application which was submitted December 1, 2022. Has Edgewater (or any other location under FTCA) been approved yet?

Based on what I'm seeing on other forum sites, the first FRIA's were approved on July 3, then a few more have been approved every weekday since then (I'm guessing less than 50 per day). I'm curious if any of the sites registered under FTCA have been approved or denied yet.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Thought I'd bump this.

I may have missed it elsewhere but, has there been any movement on the FTCA CBO FRIAs? (3 acronyms in one question. Not a military record but not bad for non-governmental civilian).
Will those of us who applied for a FRIA be notified of denial or does the FAA just not send a response in that case?

scottyorr

It is surprising (and a little disturbing) that the headquarters of one of the major CBO's has not received their FRIA approval yet. There are only 4 CBO's in existence. Has any non-AMA field received FRIA approval yet?

Boxo53

“Yes, several schools have. I've seen zero CBO sponsored other than ama”

May I ask where you are finding the approved FRIA list? I checked the FAA data delivery site as listed and don't see any

Thanks

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Yes, several schools have. I've seen zero CBO sponsored other than ama
It is working just like the FAA intended.

My guess is that Edgewater Airpark will be approved - and possibly Furey Field. Other than that AMA has a lock-in, just like the FAA and AMA worked out. There may be one or two FPVFC spots, but the FAA likely never intended for there to be more than one "CBO" and hence is loathe to give legitimacy to any other than the AMA. Another reason to dump AMA membership.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
“Yes, several schools have. I've seen zero CBO sponsored other than ama”

May I ask where you are finding the approved FRIA list? I checked the FAA data delivery site as listed and don't see any

Thanks
Yeah,that’s one of the FAA problems,something will show one place and not another. I’ve been looking here:

And,no,not the first one within a 4 hour drive for me.

scottyorr

So that map uses the data posted here https://udds-faa.opendata.arcgis.com/search?collection=Dataset

The FRIA list had not been updated since January, is now showing it was updated this week, but still only has 234 entries. So they modified the last update date on AUG 2 without really adding any new entries.... Hmmm m. They modded 1
So I still don't see what you are referring to as "The FRIA list". The link you posted is something called "Fixed flying sites". Don't see anything about "FRIA". Do have a link that lists FRIAs?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FAA is calling it multiple things. The Recreational Flyer Fixed Sites IS the FRIA list.

Screenshot_20230804-184527.jpg

Screenshot_20230804-184930.jpg

Interesting thin is the table header uses AMA_Site_ID, not Site_ID
Here you can see some Non-Ama sites in the list too
Screenshot_20230804-185218.jpg

You end up at the above site by clicking on the Where are FRIAs link on the FRIA site
Screenshot_20230804-190455.jpg

Last edited:

Boxo53

“FAA is calling it multiple things. The Recreational Flyer Fixed Sites IS the FRIA list.”

I have to disagree. A recreational flyer fixed site is where there is an agreement in place to fly models, or drones, if you prefer, inside Controlled Airspace - that is near a major full-size airport. Many were in existence before FRIA’s were invented. They are two separate things, although they can be co- located. This is buried deep in the hundreds of pages the FAA published on ‘drones’.

scottyorr

“FAA is calling it multiple things. The Recreational Flyer Fixed Sites IS the FRIA list.”

I have to disagree. A recreational flyer fixed site is where there is an agreement in place to fly models, or drones, if you prefer, inside Controlled Airspace - that is near a major full-size airport. Many were in existence before FRIA’s were invented. They are two separate things, although they can be co- located. This is buried deep in the hundreds of pages the FAA published on ‘drones’.

I have to agree with you. Many of these were last edited in April of 2019 - long before the existence of FRIA's. And I've read/seen announcements of other FRIA's that are not on this list.

LitterBug

Techno Nut

That's plausible, but where are they hiding the FRIA list?

Boxo53

That's plausible, but where are they hiding the FRIA list?
I believe it’s not published yet, but it will be at the website they indicated. The FRIA list is not likely a high priority with the FAA. Probably do a large batch upload at some point.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...The FRIA list is not likely a high priority with the FAA...
It doesn't look like FRIA approval is a high priority either.

We are 6 weeks away from the deadline. September 16, 2024 is coming on very fast. How many FRIAs are getting approved each week? How many remote ID modules have been approved & are available to buy?

The best any of us can hope for is yet again another deadline roll back.

Either a deadline delay or the FAA is going to make all of us criminals.

bitogre

It sounds like EdgeWater was DENIED. I was hoping there might be more information as to why. I am also trying to figure out how I would know if my local AMA field was approved or denied.