Help! Electric motors

Hi people trying to get my head round these electric motors I have a Turnigy aerodrive D3542/6-1000kv and a Turnigy aerodrive
SK-3. 3542-1250kv which is more powerful? many thanks.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Hi people trying to get my head round these electric motors I have a Turnigy aerodrive D3542/6-1000kv and a Turnigy aerodrive
SK-3. 3542-1250kv which is more powerful? many thanks.

both motors are almost identical except for their rotational speed. One is a 1000kv the other 1250kv. The 1000kv will spin a little slower but can handle a bigger prop. the 1250 will spin faster but may require smaller prop due to current draw. there won't be much diff but enough that you will want to decide what kind of plane it is going in, then pick the best prop size to match the current draw and type of flying you want. if you don't know about it yet, there is an awesome website that can do a lot of the calculations for you and help pick which would be best for what you have.

Ecalc.com

good luck,

me :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
..... which is more powerful? many thanks.
That is not the right question. I agree with @mrjdstewart, I doubt there is any difference in the “power,” that is watts. Both will likely draw the same wattage.

The right question is at what airspeed will the power be delivered. The lower Kv motor will work on a lower pitch larger diameter prop. It will produce more thrust but at a slower airspeed. The higher Kv motor will want a higher pitch smaller diameter prop. The thrust will be lower but the plane will fly faster.

Think transmission, low gear will have more lugging power but a lower top speed. High gear will not pull as much but will produce more speed. Both high and low gear use the same power, watts or hp.

both motors are almost identical except for their rotational speed. One is a 1000kv the other 1250kv. The 1000kv will spin a little slower but can handle a bigger prop. the 1250 will spin faster but may require smaller prop due to current draw. there won't be much diff but enough that you will want to decide what kind of plane it is going in, then pick the best prop size to match the current draw and type of flying you want. if you don't know about it yet, there is an awesome website that can do a lot of the calculations for you and help pick which would be best for what you have.

Ecalc.com

good luck,

me :cool:

Thanks for that yep got it!

That is not the right question. I agree with @mrjdstewart, I doubt there is any difference in the “power,” that is watts. Both will likely draw the same wattage.

The right question is at what airspeed will the power be delivered. The lower Kv motor will work on a lower pitch larger diameter prop. It will produce more thrust but at a slower airspeed. The higher Kv motor will want a higher pitch smaller diameter prop. The thrust will be lower but the plane will fly faster.

Think transmission, low gear will have more lugging power but a lower top speed. High gear will not pull as much but will produce more speed. Both high and low gear use the same power, watts or hp.

Sounds good the way you put it many thanks.

what are you planning to put them on.

Hi I have a Sopwith camel 1520mm wingspan and quotes a 3530 to 4250 EP but it will be heavier than quoted when finished and the other one is a Spitfire with a 1420mm wingspan and quotes a fuel engine of .40-46 which I am converting to EP many thanks.