Anyone used a Surpass Hobby motor ?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I tend to be a creature of habit and once I find something I like, I tend to stick with it.
My electric motor selection consist of 2 makes:
1) Emax
2) Sunnysky
Both makes I have found to be: reliable, powerful, well made and economical to buy.
However, some time ago my son who was still interested in the hobby at the time said he fancied a 3D profile plane. So I bought him a Hummer from Hobbyking and looking through the spec it suggested a 1000kv motor would be ideal.
So I bought a Surpass Hobby 2212 1000kv 14 pole high torque motor specifically for the project, since then its been sat in the box with the plane waiting to be assembled.
I recently watched a YouTube video of someone flying one of these Hummers and he used a Sunnysky 1250kv V3 motor in it. Coincidentally I just bought one of those motors and it arrived this week, so wondered if that will be a better option for the Hummer :unsure:.

I then started to consider if the Surpass motor would actually be up to the task of flying a profile 3D plane, so started reading up on the specs for the motor.

Runs from - 7v to 14v Lipo (so 2s to 4s options) (y)
Produces - 260 watts of power (y)
Max current - 21 amps (y)
Recommended Prop sizes - 9x4.5 , 10x6 , 10x5 (y)
Thrust - ???????
No thrust data :eek:, I have trawled through loads of sites and specs for this motor but can't find any thrust specification for this motor.

Does anyone have any experience with these motors and ideally any idea what thrust I can expect ? The Hummer will only weighs around 450 - 500g as its only a light EPO profile model.
Ideally I don't want to waste my new Sunnysky motor on the Hummer, particularly if the Surpass will do the job.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Wondering if this motor might be a better option on the Sea Otter combined with an 8x4.5 prop and 1300mAh 4s battery.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have an Emax GT2215 1100Kv powering the Sea Otter at present which I think is wasted on this model to be honest. If I can get 800 to 900g of thrust from the Surpass motor with the 0845 prop it would be worth swapping them over.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...-tHZ6dL2AhXZh_0HHWF_CCEQ9aACegUIARCpAQ&adurl=
Sod the expense get one of these
1647715467912.png