ELRS

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It's a new open source RC protocol. It can be used for anything from short range, high update rate racing, normal flying, to long range. It can be used as a serial protocol for vehicles with Flight controllers, or simple PWM receivers.

LB

joelspangler

Express LRS is one of the next generation RC protocols that offer lower latency (more updates per second between the plane and the transmitter), and can work better over longer distances. It's more technically challenging to configure in most cases - where you set up everything via connecting to it via wifi or Bluetooth via a laptop or phone then set up a binding phrase. Most of the more common protocols use a bind button or putting in a bind plug, which is much easier if you aren't technically savvy. ELRS is technically better than most of the other protocols, but unless you are planning to fly longer range FPV, or flying FPV quadcopters and need the fastest response times, you are probably fine with the more traditional devices. For most on this forum that mostly fly line of sight, DSMX (Spektrum), Flysky, Frsky, etc are fine and they don't NEED the benefits of the next gen protocol. One nice thing about ELRS is that it is generally the same price or even less expensive than name-brand receivers. At this point there are not many choices for ELRS receivers with servo pins (PWM receivers). Radiomaster just released a bunch of options, but most others require you to solder the pins on yourself.

If I were new to the hobby, I'd probably go ELRS, but I work an Information Technology job and like new stuff. I would not recommend it to most of the guys at my local flying field.

davebarry

Express LRS is one of the next generation RC protocols that offer lower latency (more updates per second between the plane and the transmitter), and can work better over longer distances. It's more technically challenging to configure in most cases - where you set up everything via connecting to it via wifi or Bluetooth via a laptop or phone then set up a binding phrase. Most of the more common protocols use a bind button or putting in a bind plug, which is much easier if you aren't technically savvy. ELRS is technically better than most of the other protocols, but unless you are planning to fly longer range FPV, or flying FPV quadcopters and need the fastest response times, you are probably fine with the more traditional devices. For most on this forum that mostly fly line of sight, DSMX (Spektrum), Flysky, Frsky, etc are fine and they don't NEED the benefits of the next gen protocol. One nice thing about ELRS is that it is generally the same price or even less expensive than name-brand receivers. At this point there are not many choices for ELRS receivers with servo pins (PWM receivers). Radiomaster just released a bunch of options, but most others require you to solder the pins on yourself.

If I were new to the hobby, I'd probably go ELRS, but I work an Information Technology job and like new stuff. I would not recommend it to most of the guys at my local flying field.
Wow some great information and thank you very much.. I am not great at technology but always like to learn

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have been playing with a few of the PWM adapters made by Matek that I'll use in some powered gliders this year. Also have a few multirotors and FPV wings that I am working on. It will be nice to be able to use the same protocol for all of them rather than having to have different setups for each type of flyer. Being able to bind, configure, and update without having to pull things apart is another great feature.

LB

Bricks

Master member
I have been playing with a few of the PWM adapters made by Matek that I'll use in some powered gliders this year. Also have a few multirotors and FPV wings that I am working on. It will be nice to be able to use the same protocol for all of them rather than having to have different setups for each type of flyer. Being able to bind, configure, and update without having to pull things apart is another great feature.

LB
The highlighted is the greatest part of ELRS receiver needs an update just plug the plane quad or what ever in let it set and it will connect itself for updates and using a binding phrase versus as mentioned buttons or jumper to bind. The only pain is making sure the receiver and transmitter are on the same update. There are more and more companies making PWM receivers for ELRS and most you do not need to solder in the pins BetaFPV, Matek, and Radiomaster, there is more manufactures if you dig around.