ESC and Motor getting hot fast))))

Shug

I am real new to electric power. Yes, a Spark-Noob.
I have a new 1200kv motor 250W motor and a 1800mAh lipo battery going through a Turnigy 18A ESC ordered through Hobby King and when I went to hook it all up the ESC gets very hot quickly and the motor runs and quits and sputters. I though I had ordered a 25A ESC.
I just hooked it up and table tested it with no prop...just a tape tab.
Is the 18A ESC just wrong on this set up? I am thinking so but so far all my electric systems have been pre-bought combos.
Thanks for any help and advice.
Shug

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Something is WRONG.
The motor and ESC should not be hot without any propeller load.
A common problem is that the motor is not spinning free due to the axle exiting the end where you fasten the motor.
Just a little glue on the axle causes a lot of friction.

Another cause may be a bad connection. If the motor "sputter" you might have a problem with one of the three wires between the motor and ESC,

Shug

What motor are you using?
It is an NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w .

Something is WRONG.
The motor and ESC should not be hot without any propeller load.
A common problem is that the motor is not spinning free due to the axle exiting the end where you fasten the motor.
Just a little glue on the axle causes a lot of friction.

Another cause may be a bad connection. If the motor "sputter" you might have a problem with one of the three wires between the motor and ESC,

Many thanks....I will check all of that. I did even see a trail of smoke I think from the motor when I first hooked it all up but it still runs.. Though sputtery.
Appreciate the advice.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Okay yes, time you get smoke, smell burning or get a lot of heat you need to stop immediately and check everything twice. Did you hook everything up correctly? Is there binding in the motor? And so forth... chances are you just burnt out something.

Shug

Okay yes, time you get smoke, smell burning or get a lot of heat you need to stop immediately and check everything twice. Did you hook everything up correctly? Is there binding in the motor? And so forth... chances are you just burnt out something.
I got a feeling I did cook something...maybe the ESC since the motor runs but yes, it does feel bindy.My hook up seemed correct as I triple checked it. Just wondering if the 18A ESC is enough for that motor. Can a person burn something out that quickly?
I reckon I am learning the hard and tough way.
Thanks for responding.

Shug

Yeah....fried! Went and bought a new motor and ESC this morn. I have a Hub Hobby 2 miles from home. All good now. Now to work on soldering skills.
This was a valuable lesson....Hobby King motor and esc so not to mush invested in the lesson.
Thanks again everybody.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The 18 A ESC will not damage the motor - (start to smoke).
Putting on a to big propeller will damage the motor or ESC - in your case the ESC as the motor has is "bigger" than the ESC.

If there was no glue or mechanical brake to the motor axle - the motor could be bad on delivery.
Those things happen - but not often. I have had just one of 100+ motors break a winding during the first hour of flight.

Jnr Kuzi

check if your ESC has an inbuilt BEC systems. if it does not have, then theres your problem. You're battery is Releasing to much power for your esc & it cant damp the access power which causes thin wires to Heat up, which leads to Heating the Circuit board..Hence over heating.

My suggestions,
01. Get a Smaller Battery (500-1300mAh)
02. Get an Esc with Higher resistance (30-60amps)
03. Buy an external bec system.
Hope I Can Help.

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I hope you bought a bigger esc as a 250 watt motor will probably need more than 18 amps ....just guessing as I have a 132 watt motor and it is maxed at 12 watts.

Shug

check if your ESC has an inbuilt BEC systems. if it does not have, then theres your problem. You're battery is Releasing to much power for your esc & it cant damp the access power which causes thin wires to Heat up, which leads to Heating the Circuit board..Hence over heating.

My suggestions,
01. Get a Smaller Battery (500-1300mAh)
02. Get an Esc with Higher resistance (30-60amps)
03. Buy an external bec system.
Hope I Can Help.
I thankee for that. I bought a whole new system...20amp ESC and bigger motor. It has been good since. A lesson learned!

I hope you bought a bigger esc as a 250 watt motor will probably need more than 18 amps ....just guessing as I have a 132 watt motor and it is maxed at 12 watts.
For sure I did...got a 20 amp ESC. Matches the new motor well.
Pulls that Spitfire around goodly.

Jnr Kuzi

I thankee for that. I bought a whole new system...20amp ESC and bigger motor. It has been good since. A lesson learned!

For sure I did...got a 20 amp ESC. Matches the new motor well.
Pulls that Spitfire around goodly.

Im Happy to Hear that. Hope to see it fly :) "chanting video, video, video"lol

NewZee

Glad you got your problem fixed! just a little feedback! I use a NTM2826 1200kV motor on my Spitfire and do fine with a 25A ESC, I think a 18A ESC was a bit too small!! In general always go higher on your ESC's than you think you'll need (I never buy less than 30A anymore) Also make sure you cut vent holes in the fuse or mount where air flow will help cool the ESC you can even mount a heat sink in rare instances.

one last thing I have had terrible luck with Suppo ESC's I think they are junk!!