Solved esc with bec or external bec?

Piotrsko

Master member
A switching BEC is essentially a buck converter (may or may not be relevant to you) so amperages can stack. Depending on where and how they sample and regulate the output voltage determines which one is dominate and whether or not they fight each other. The higher regulating one will override the other and assume powering the load until the voltage drop activates the second but the first will still tend to heat up.

How do you know what you have? You don't, except through experimentation, but do that testing before you fly it, unless you happen to like esc fires or inappropriate crashes. Btw failures for igbts and mosfets are different and both are used in the power circuit.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I think he just wants to maiden his Bushwhacker, and really the extra weight won't matter. It is a light airframe and will take the extra weight. Once he gets an external BEC it will just be a bonus on saved weight
But he isn't gaining anything doing it that way.
I am not sure about the linear ones if it would double the amp rating, would be an interesting test to do.

NOW, if you ran the Y battery lead , 2 esc's and 2 rx's so each esc is running each one separately and you could have say the motor plus the elevator and rudder on one rx and the flaps and ailerons on the other one .

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am not sure about the linear ones if it would double the amp rating, would be an interesting test to do.

NOW, if you ran the Y battery lead , 2 esc's and 2 rx's so each esc is running each one separately and you could have say the motor plus the elevator and rudder on one rx and the flaps and ailerons on the other one .
Very true, I really am not sure as to how it all works, trying to picture it in my head and there are some fuzzy spots lol

Piotrsko

Master member

Only way to do that is to make extensions with the red lead missing and a couple of Y adapters for each channel

Oops I see he said 2Rx. That would work.

Sero

Elite member

Linear BECs don't fight each other and if you had 2 hooked up to a receiver that were rated at 3 amps it would be like hooking up two 5 volt batteries rated at 3 amps in parallel which would provide 6 available amps at the same voltage.
If the ESC is rated for 4s or less its most likely linear, if its rated for anything higher than 4s its most likely switching. Best to refer to the manual to be sure.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I don't see anything about running 2 RX, just 2 ESC.

I had said

Sero

Elite member
I had said

Got it.
I misunderstood Piotrsko's post and had the impression he thought Hanger was running 2 RX's.

Just disregard my previous post

*edit - I deleted the post

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So a quick update. I flew the bushwacker off the stock 3a bec and didn’t fb experience any issues. My turnigy 40a esc also came and I used it with my stock non-4s rated emax 2215 old c pack motor on a 9x6 prop and I could touch the motor at the end of a while 4s pack with the majority of the flying being full throttle low passes. Thanks again for all your help!