Eurofighter Typhoon Aerobatic

jmrpb

Eurofighter Typhoon

This is my aerobatic Eurofighter Typhoon.

It has a simple way of vectorial thrust, like some of other pusher planes. It’s very aerobatic with very good vertical performance and, of course, it is also very forgiven and stable if you want to. Most of the times, I catch it by hand on landings. It has KF airfoil number 4 (up and down symmetric for Acrobatics), and It works great!!

It has got a very good flight envelope between slow speed and high angle of attack (AoA) and very fast acceleration and speed. This is because of the delta wing configuration (37º degree swept-back angle) and the 9” 6” propeller, which is perfect for acceleration from slow speed and high AoA to fast speed.

It’s known that a conventional tail (with tail feathers) is better for pitch maneuvers and loops. Nevertheless, with this delta configuration I can still make loops and very sharp turns. At present time it has fixed canards. I have tried it with movable canards but, in my opinion, the advantages, if there were any, are perfectly neglectable, and didn’t compensate the complexity and the weight penalty.

The specifications are:

- Length: 101 cm;
- WingSpan: 70 cm;
- Leading hedge sweep-back angle (wing): 37º;
- KF Airfoil number 4 (up and down symmetric for aerobatics);
- Motor: SunnySky 2212 / 980KV;
- Speed Controller: Rapid Fire 12A (10 grams);
- Propeller: Graupner 9” * 6” Slim Cam (perfect for acceleration from low speed and for AoA);
- Battery: #1 LIPO 3S / 1300 mA/h with 35C (flight times between 6 and 7 minutes with aerobatics);
- Servos: #3 Hitec HS-55;
- The tip of the wing (outer far part of the wing is): 10 cm (with ailerons);
- Dimensions of rudder: 23 cm tall by 25 cm wide (at the widest point in the bottom);
- Weight: between 390 and 440 grams / 13,8 oz to ~ 15,5 oz range (it depends on the battery you use) ready to fly;
- Landing: Hand catch :)

The front part of the Eurofighter is made of grey ‘polypropylene’ and from one inch of white foam sanded into shape and glued in each side of the fuselage that makes it almost, and I say ALMOST, indestructible.

I hope that this brief description helps.
I will post a video as soon as possible.

It does have KF airfoil number 4 for aerobatics.

It looks great in the air and it’s guaranteed that you’ll receive all the attention of other RC fellow pilots!

Check out the photos below.

Follow your dreams and fly like there is no tomorrow! :)

José Bernardo

Lisbon, Portugal, Europe

jmrpb

Some pictures

These are some still pictures of the 'fleet':
DSC03149.JPG DSC03164.JPG Eurofighter F117.jpg Eurofighter F117b small.jpg Eurofighter F117e.jpg

jmrpb

Here are some advantages Versus disadvantages of this type of Delta Wing:

Pros:

- Very fast speed and acceleration;
- Unlimited vertical performance;
- Slow speed and high AoA;
- Very fast roll rate;
- Very good sharp turn rate;
- The single and central rudder gives him very precise directional control;
- Very stable inverted flight.

Cons:

- It doesn’t like to make tight loops (waterfalls). Nevertheless, it makes perfect normal loops (positive - inside loops and negative - outside loops).

Happy flights and happy landings ;)

José Bernardo
Lisbon, Portugal, Europe