Build thread: Jeworks Eurofighter Typhoon

danskis

Master member
I've decided to do a build thread on the Jetworks Eurofighter Typhoon because while we've seen lots of @shadeyB amazing finished products I haven't seen many build threads on Jetworks plans. This is my first EDF so we'll see how it turns out. I bought some model plane foam over a year ago and its just been sitting (I'm a very slow builder so this won't be updated daily like other threads). This is also my first build using the grade C model plane foam (mpf), UHU POR and carbon fiber to reinforce the wings. I picked the Eurofighter because it had a low parts count and I wanted to build a delta wing plane. It also looked like it had the least amount of sanding to shape the fuselage. I've been really happy with the materials. The mpf is very easy to work with. Its different than ReadiBoard in that it doesn't bend easily but its very forgiving, resilient and easy to cut. UHU POR makes assembly easy and fast - I like working with it. I bought pultruded 5mm square CF tubing from Walmart online. I got 4 one meter sticks for $22 - no shipping charge. The Jetworks plans are very complete as is the build manual. The design of the plane takes advantage of the materials and so far the build has been easy and straightforward. I'm part way through the basic airframe build. The next step will be a challenge - mounting the EDF and making the thrust tube.

Eurofighter.jpg

shadeyB

Legendary member
awesome buddy, i have the Typhoon on the bench also however it's a 150% monster with HET Typhoon motor

shadeyB

Legendary member
I've decided to do a build thread on the Jetworks Eurofighter Typhoon because while we've seen lots of @shadeyB amazing finished products I haven't seen many build threads on Jetworks plans. This is my first EDF so we'll see how it turns out. I bought some model plane foam over a year ago and its just been sitting (I'm a very slow builder so this won't be updated daily like other threads). This is also my first build using the grade C model plane foam (mpf), UHU POR and carbon fiber to reinforce the wings. I picked the Eurofighter because it had a low parts count and I wanted to build a delta wing plane. It also looked like it had the least amount of sanding to shape the fuselage. I've been really happy with the materials. The mpf is very easy to work with. Its different than ReadiBoard in that it doesn't bend easily but its very forgiving, resilient and easy to cut. UHU POR makes assembly easy and fast - I like working with it. I bought pultruded 5mm square CF tubing from Walmart online. I got 4 one meter sticks for $22 - no shipping charge. The Jetworks plans are very complete as is the build manual. The design of the plane takes advantage of the materials and so far the build has been easy and straightforward. I'm part way through the basic airframe build. The next step will be a challenge - mounting the EDF and making the thrust tube View attachment 237637
what power set up are you intending ? i had 64mm on 4s clock 86mph :) and a pusher version hit 104mph LOL

danskis

Master member
I've got a "volunteer" 64mm 11 blade that someone gave me that I'm planning on running on 4S. I haven't done a bench test yet so I'll see if I get the magic smoke. :<)

This is my first EDF but from what I'm reading most new 64mm can take 4s. 86mph would suit me fine.

Can't wait to see you're 150% version.

L Edge

Master member
I've got a "volunteer" 64mm 11 blade that someone gave me that I'm planning on running on 4S. I haven't done a bench test yet so I'll see if I get the magic smoke. :<)

This is my first EDF but from what I'm reading most new 64mm can take 4s. 86mph would suit me fine.

Can't wait to see you're 150% version.

Once you are comfortable with EDF's, suggest you get some thrust vectoring nozzles and explore. Does wild acrobatics and capable to do slow flying(high alpha) and real short landings. Can even fly it in a dome during winter. TVN's make a jet act like a prop. Better than just buzzing around at high speed.

Here is what TVN nozzles can do

danskis

Master member
@L Edge - I'm not that good a pilot. Maybe the next one

Well I cut the rear spar according to the plan and when I went to add the rear motor mount the mount was in the air - the thrust tube on the motor didn't go back far enough. The plan must have been made for a fan with a built in longer thrust tube. There were several options at this point but I opted to extend the thrust tube on the motor. I've been wanting to use an aluminum beer can for a long time - what a great material. So I went down to the local brewhouse and got a crowler (32oz can). Of course someone had to drink that porter. Anyhow heres the can all cut up - pretty easy to do. Below that is the motor with the two foam and one ply mount jigged up and ready to glue in. Probably glue it tomorrow.
Euro Beer.jpg
Euro jigged.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator

Well I cut the rear spar according to the plan and when I went to add the rear motor mount the mount was in the air - the thrust tube on the motor didn't go back far enough. The plan must have been made for a fan with a built in longer thrust tube. There were several options at this point but I opted to extend the thrust tube on the motor. I've been wanting to use an aluminum beer can for a long time - what a great material. So I went down to the local brewhouse and got a crowler (32oz can). Of course someone had to drink that porter. Anyhow heres the can all cut up - pretty easy to do. Below that is the motor with the two foam and one ply mount jigged up and ready to glue in. Probably glue it tomorrow. View attachment 237667 View attachment 237668
Takes a dedicated builder to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

The Fopster

Master member

Well I cut the rear spar according to the plan and when I went to add the rear motor mount the mount was in the air - the thrust tube on the motor didn't go back far enough. The plan must have been made for a fan with a built in longer thrust tube. There were several options at this point but I opted to extend the thrust tube on the motor. I've been wanting to use an aluminum beer can for a long time - what a great material. So I went down to the local brewhouse and got a crowler (32oz can). Of course someone had to drink that porter. Anyhow heres the can all cut up - pretty easy to do. Below that is the motor with the two foam and one ply mount jigged up and ready to glue in. Probably glue it tomorrow. View attachment 237667 View attachment 237668
A porter? Excellent choice!

danskis

Master member
Well I glued up one of the back spars last night using 30 minute epoxy and it looked good this morning. So I glued the spar on the other side this morning using 30 minute epoxy. I'm glad I used 30 minute epoxy because after lifting the plane off the jig to tape up the bottom of the spar and then applying the epoxy and inserting and taping the top spar it took me about 15 minutes to level everything out. Definitely better to do it in 2 steps. I think it will be pretty flat and level at this point but we'll see.

danskis

Master member
Not much progress except I got the new dining room light installed which was kinda like building a MS plane. I wasn't sure about how the Eurofighter went together so I used the "slow" glue.

euro w side.jpg

L Edge

Master member
Not much progress except I got the new dining room light installed which was kinda like building a MS plane. I wasn't sure about how the Eurofighter went together so I used the "slow" glue.

View attachment 237786

On your pattern plane, did you use analog or digital servos? I tried my new Readi board 3D plane and put 3 small digital servos instead of analog and what a difference in control!!!!! So if you are exploring pattern, suggest you take a look at it.

danskis

Master member
@L Edge - I haven't gotten to the pattern plane yet...I'm flying my E Flite Leader sport plane. The pattern plane is next. But you are right - its time to get out of the beginner Flite Test mentality and start using better servos since I know it will "probably" fly and the added precision (centering for one) would be appreciated.

danskis

Master member
Slow but steady progress on the Eurofighter. I've got the EDF, speed controller, receiver and servos installed. I've started sanding the fuselage to shape. Next is the exhaust tube and rear bulkhead so I can start putting on the outer skins including the top, bottom and turtledeck. A very generous person on the Parkjets Facebook page offered to 3D print all the parts for me at cost. I got the box of parts and they are amazing. It would really enhance this model. I'm not going to use all of them as I expect this first one to be short lived. The support on the Parkjets Facebook page is amazing and I really appreciate and recommend these plans. While it uses different techniques, this jet is probably easier to put together than the Spitfire speed build plans.

euro top1.jpg
euro top.jpg
euro bottom.jpg
euro thrust tube.jpg

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
I made some progress on the Eurofighter and its starting to look like a jet. I've sanded it to shape using the templates provided in the plans. The templates really helped and took away some of the anxiety of shaping the fuse. The beer can on the EDF made it super easy to attach the thrust tube.

templates.jpg
euro topcanopy.jpg
euro closed bottom.jpg
euro thrust tube.jpg

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
I made some progress on the Eurofighter and its starting to look like a jet. I've sanded it to shape using the templates provided in the plans. The templates really helped and took away some of the anxiety of shaping the fuse. The beer can on the EDF made it super easy to attach the thrust tube.

View attachment 238125 View attachment 238126 View attachment 238127 View attachment 238129

Looking at the pic, is the setup your EDF, beer can, a diffuser? If so, what is the length of the red segment and what is the exit area diameter?

danskis

Master member
I questioned the plans on this but built it to plan anyway being my first EDF. The back of the EDF wasn't going to make it to the back support bulkhead so there would have been a gap between the fan and the bulkhead. I could have used a spacer but I extended the back of the fan about an inch using the beer can. The red tube is the thrust tube and is oval where it exits the fuselage and to me the opening appears to be too large (also online calculations said it was too big). I'll take a pic later. I didn't realize most people just glue the thrust tube to the bulkhead. The beer can extension allowed me to easily tape the thrust tube to the extension with filament tape .

If you look at the last pic from above you can see the oval at the end of the thrust tube.