Excellent Video On Rates To Make You A Better Pilot

Bricks

Master member
I realize many here do not fly 3D but use this video to set up your plane which will help make one a better pilot and smoother at flying. Playing with and making changes specific to your aircraft can cut down on your work load of actually flying your plane, thus make your flying much more enjoyable. I know I learned a few things by watching this video especially the part about Warbirds.

L Edge

Master member
I realize many here do not fly 3D but use this video to set up your plane which will help make one a better pilot and smoother at flying. Playing with and making changes specific to your aircraft can cut down on your work load of actually flying your plane, thus make your flying much more enjoyable. I know I learned a few things by watching this video especially the part about Warbirds.

2 points I would like to make for pilots trying to fly 3D is many cases the pilot picks the wrong plane for 3D practice. Then they don't spend the time to set up the right aft CG and trims, pick the right prop even before setting up rates and expo.

Second point in the video he sets up too many rates for 3D stuff. Try a stationary hover in front of you and have a gust hit you with the wrong rate on, so one really needs minimum number of rates. Ideally, the best is to have only one rate to handle all. You learn to pulse the stick for small changes and with large pulses to handle different 3D flying.

Oh yeah, if you ain"t got independent co-ordination between both sticks, you will have to fly high. Example: a rolling circle- hit the rudder at the wrong time--

Bricks

Master member
Every one has there ideals for how they wish to fly but using rates can make for a much smoother flying experience I have always used 3 rates at least. It comes down to what you get used to. One of the guys at our field has never used expo or any rates it`s just the way he has done it since he started to fly.