Excited noob! which flag should I fly?

First off let me start by saying, HI!

I am a Instrumentation and Electrical technician in the oil field in North Eastern Utah. I am very excited! I finally am making the plunge and am getting into the RC hobby!

I think one of my goals it to fly FPV racing quads, but that will be down the line a little bit. So to start off I want to buy a Nano QX to start practicing flying a quadcopter. I also want to build an FT simple storch with my two sons. (5 and 3 years old.)

My issue is that I am not sure what transmitter I should get. I am torn... I am debating between two different transmitters:

Spektrum DX6
http://www.horizonhobby.com/dx6-6-channel-dsmx-reg%3B-transmitter-with-ar610-receiver-spm6700

or
FrSky Taranis X9D
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-plus-x8r-combo.html

I like the Taranis due to it being modular, and uber programmable.

I like the Spektrum due to it being so widely used and pretty much plug and play with everything I am interested in. (and the wireless buddy boxing.)

What are the general thoughts of people around here?

Thank you in advance for the advice! :D

earthsciteach

I come down on the side of the Taranis. Why? Because you can buy a cheap module that will talk to those Spektrum BNFs if that's what you want. And you still get a system that is better than Spektrum when you pop in the FrSky module!

Biff45452

I have the dx6 v2 and I really like it. It was easy to figure out and feels really smooth on on the sticks (compared to my dx5e).

T-Reu

Yes, do go with the Taranis! My first transmitter was a DX8 and it was great. Now I have a Taranis and it is so much more powerful! Actually I converted all my models to FrSky and sold all my Spektrum gear on eBay.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Taranis. You might have a bit of learning to do before you can program it really well, but a $200 taranis will do anything a $800 transmitter will do.

You can also use it as a juke box. (search taranis juke box on youtube to see what mean)

My Taranis arrived yesterday! There is so much for me to learn... I am feeling a little overwhelmed but I think I can handle this. I program automation for large natural gas compressor stations. I will do a lot of research and figure this out!

Can't tell you how excited I am though.

P.S. Does anyone have a good "how to" for getting the taranis to fly the Nano QX through the OrangeRX module?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You tube is your friend. I personally don't have any experience with the Taranis other than it looks like a really good step up from the transmitter I have now. RCgroups should have some info for you, but somebody has probably made a guide on You Tube.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Just start with the basics like rates and expos.
You'll use these on all of your models and they will help make them much more flyable.
You can then slowly add the advanced features you need.
As long as you have the basics nailed, your planes will fly.

Best regards,
PCH