F-4 Phantom - Twin 70mm EDF Monster!!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Nice work Ben. Looking forward to the flight. Nice work on the fotos too. In the Navy we would have photos done at night with the tarmac soaked with water. The result is a nice reflection below the plane.

How soon to fly?

Air Force One

WOW! Amazing. Just a couple questions. First, what paper should I print plans on? A4? US Letter? Can you do an overview video where you go over component placement, retracts etc? And also what retracts are you using?

jperry

hi ben

im just about to cut out the parts with a laser cutter

do you use A1 (594mm by 841mm) or do you use standard flitetest foamboard which is smaller than UK A1 size?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Nice work Ben. Looking forward to the flight. Nice work on the fotos too. In the Navy we would have photos done at night with the tarmac soaked with water. The result is a nice reflection below the plane.

How soon to fly?

Thanks! Oooh, wet tarmac pics is an excellent idea....

Planning to fly either this Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving.

WOW! Amazing. Just a couple questions. First, what paper should I print plans on? A4? US Letter? Can you do an overview video where you go over component placement, retracts etc? And also what retracts are you using?

Unfortunately the plans are not tiled as of yet, so you'll need to either get Kinkos/Staples (or similar) to print full-size, or reach out to others here who have more experience than I with tiling.

Retracts: These are the units I used for the mains, and I just bent my own wire and used 2" wheels:
https://www.motionrc.com/products/flightlinerc-electronic-retract-type-a

This is the unit I used for the nose:
https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-80mm-edf-mirage-2000-nose-landing-gear

I will try to do a video SOON that is an overview of the F-4, talking about components and such. Thanks for the request!

What motors did you use?
Were they counter rotating?

Not counter rotating. The EDF units are these:

https://www.banggood.com/FMS-70mm-1...5-KV2750-Motor-For-RC-Airplane-p-1023640.html

hi ben

im just about to cut out the parts with a laser cutter

do you use A1 (594mm by 841mm) or do you use standard flitetest foamboard which is smaller than UK A1 size?

I used standard Flite Test Water Resistant Foamboard. It takes 7 sheets.

jperry

thanks ben

some more questions

what are the colours of the dxf files? presumably, black is cut red is score and purple etch?

also, how did you do the ailerons? it looks like you have made the wing and then cut them.

thanks

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Colors should correspond to traditional FT convention.

Black: Cut
Red: Score
Blue: Crease/50% score

Green or magenta lines are reference only.

AILERONS: You have a choice - 1) simple, like I did at FFEast (no flaps), 2) Full Scale (as here) with flaps

Full disclosure: Flaps are not necessary, and unless you really want the scale deflection appearance, go with the simple ailerons.

Simple ailerons basically hinge just the overhanging trailing edge bit of the foam - the overhanging part of the upper surface when you fold it over. And the full center portion of the wing - from the side of body to the outer wing break. Mount the aileron servo as best you see fit (yes this needs improvement in the plans). Simple cut, simple hinge - but it works.

Scale ailerons are as they sound: scale. I didn't really measure (probably should do that and add it to the plans), I just eyeballed a 3-view and cut out the ailerons and flaps. If you go scale, the hinge will still be the upper surface paper, but you'll need to trim away a bit of the lower surface foam to allow movement. Trim and move as needed.

Yes: I built the wing up and THEN cut ailerons and flaps, and mounted the wing servos as needed. I just cut a hole for the servos, saved the piece of foam, glued the servos in and glued the foam piece back on.

Rosco

Hi Ben great design !
Love these planes so I'm gonna give your plans a go .
I've been having a long hard look at the plans and your build photos and I can't see a centre section for the wing or elevator anywhere.
Also roughly what angles are used for the elevator and wing tips ?
Cheers Rosco ��

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Success!! The F-4 flew again, this time with paint, and came back in one piece! Flew better with a little tail weight and more elevator throw, but now I need to move th CG forward a bit. No biggie, she'll fly again!!

Thanks to my dad for the video, and to my wife for her patience and support!

Air Force One

Will there be a Dan Sponholz version of the plans? Your plans are amazing but they are a bit confusing to follow. This is on the build list right after I'm done with your A-4!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Will there be a Dan Sponholz version of the plans? Your plans are amazing but they are a bit confusing to follow. This is on the build list right after I'm done with your A-4!

LOL, I must apologize for my spartan plans...I certainly focus just on getting the most out of each sheet, while Dan is much more thorough.

I can't say for sure, but I think I can say he wants to but it won't be soon. 😉

I've gotten a few requests on YouTube for a more detailed overview of the F-4, so I plan on doing that soon. That should help to answer many of the construction and build questions. Stay tuned!

Glad you like the A-4!

Zephyr1

Elite member
Holy crap this is amazing. How difficult do you think it would be to put 50mm edfs in it? The same ones used your F-5? I'm thinking of attempting a stripped down version(no retracts, no flaps, no rudder, conventional elevator, smaller battery). What do you think?

Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
I just printed out the plans for this! You hooked me with your A-4 (I have my own and I love it)! I'm gonna attempt a stripped down version, like the one described above.