FAA banning FPV Goggles

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
Stop jumping to conclusions about people you've never met.

So the implication that I was at any time ever serious at all about swinging fanatics to our aide would be, what then? Insinuating that I was talking about all gun owners when poking fun at some idiots would be, what then?

I enjoy looking silly. And being hilariously insulting. There's an operative word in each of those sentences that would denote a certain amount of jest or whimsy.

I wasn't aware of the lack of space on the internet for being silly or nonsensical. I'll try to keep it strictly serious from here on out.

download.jpg

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
@FM Probably a business plan and a 501c3 non profit certificate. Also If you read my post carefully it hinted strongly that it will NEVER get better for us since we are not corporate entities.

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If you can't profit from model flying then apparently Horizon Hobby, Hitec, Futaba, Spektrum, etc will all be out of business if these regs are passed.

This is the first step in the FAA's multi-year process so we shouldn't be too depressed yet. There is still a long way to go and a lot of changes can be written.

We can't sit back and wait.

And as far as years in the works… not true. In their letter of intent, they made it clear that they feel these changes are effective immediately.

They don't even have to have the law on their side. They can just take you to court, and try to break you financially, while spending your tax money against you to do it.

As has been repeated many times, we need to organize, get all of the hobbyists, vendors, and manufacturers behind a single unified voice. It will have to be a new, and topic specific group, the AMA just isn't cutting it anymore.

The only question is, who will take the lead?

Vitamin J

Crashing

And as far as years in the works… not true. In their letter of intent, they made it clear that they feel these changes are effective immediately.

They don't even have to have the law on their side. They can just take you to court, and try to break you financially, while spending your tax money against you to do it.

As has been repeated many times, we need to organize, get all of the hobbyists, vendors, and manufacturers behind a single unified voice. It will have to be a new, and topic specific group, the AMA just isn't cutting it anymore.

Of course we shouldn't sit back and wait.

The FAA may feel it is effective immediately, but it is not. They felt they had effective regulations and tried to prosecute Trappy as well, how did that work for them? Anyone who gets fined by the FAA only has to cite that lawsuit as their defense, we should thank the FAA and especially Trappy for lowering that cost barrier ;)

In reality, they still need to file a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, that needs to go to the Department of Transportation, which in turn will then go to Congress before anything is final. Of course this process has been delayed since 2009. I'm thinking the FAA will try to sidestep that process and get Congress to pass something instead, though, since they're so far behind.

I agree wholeheartedly, we need an FPV/UAV specific group, modeling it after the AMA as an insurance company would be an excellent start. If we're insured no one can complain! Of course I already have a full time job so I won't be volunteering just yet.

RoyBro

Mentor

I can think of some folks that will need to be involved...

ImersionRC / Fat Shark, FoxtechFPV, Hobby Wireless, StoneCap, StoneBlue, etc.

As far as who will lead the effort... :confused:

Tritium

I contacted FoxtechFPV this morning about the issues and potential major loss of revenue (short term anyway). DJI certainly has need to enter this issue too.

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Official Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft Public Inspection on the Federal Register:
https://www.federalregister.gov/art...tation-of-the-special-rule-for-model-aircraft

30 day public commenting period starts on 6/25/14, respectfully make your opinions known!

Something else we could use, is a well thought out letter we can all make use of to send to the FAA during the period of public commenting. Even if each person was to edit it to suit their own style of writing, at least we'd be somewhat unified in what we want changed about the proposed rules.

If we're too varied in what we want, they'll be able to ignore us. But if we were to get on the same page, and spread it across twitter, Facebook, the forums, etc, I think we'd have more of an impact.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I can think of some folks that will need to be involved...

ImersionRC / Fat Shark, FoxtechFPV, Hobby Wireless, StoneCap, StoneBlue, etc.

As far as who will lead the effort... :confused:

Good, but most of those are companies from outside the US.

Don't forget places like Atlanta Hobby (GA), GetFPV (FL), ReadymadeRC (OH), FPVWireless (TX) MultirotorSuperstore (CA)

There's plenty of US based business that this could really hurt.

Tritium

Starting Tomorrow:

ADDRESSES:
You may send comments identified by docket number FAA-2014-0396 using any of the following methods:
Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and follow the online instructions for sending your comments electronically.

From FPV Lab.

Thurmond

RoyBro

Mentor
Good, but most of those are companies from outside the US.

Don't forget places like Atlanta Hobby (GA), GetFPV (FL), ReadymadeRC (OH), FPVWireless (TX) MultirotorSuperstore (CA)

There's plenty of US based business that this could really hurt.

We should compile a list both inside and outside the US. The US entities can be more vocal and the international entities can lend financial support if needed. They may actually have deeper pockets.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
In all reality I think we need a new organization focused on FPV/Drones/Commecial usage that kind of falls outside of the scope of what the AMA has traditionally done.

There is one.
It got started not too long ago when they saw the need.

Go to www.rcfli.org to check it out.
They post regular updates on their Facebook page too regarding laws and news.

C_E

DarkShot

I think that FPV pilots and those who are essentially professional test and demonstration pilots need to come together against this as it targets both parties. The FAA is saying 'No FPV at all' and 'You can't be paid to fly RC aircraft at all'.

That's as much a target on the pros like heli pilot Bert Kammerer and plane pilot Joe Smith for example as it is to anyone who partakes in casual FPV flying, and both sides can interact quite heavily as FPV can be and is used to capture great aerial shots of those very 3D pilots who're paid to fly, fly.

Does anyone else agree?

And while I'm not American, this would affect me greatly as I'd love to go to such large events like Joe Nall, SEFF, FliteFest and so on, and be able to enjoy all of what the hobby has to offer, from watching professional demonstrations to flying FPV myself.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
I think that FPV pilots and those who are essentially professional test and demonstration pilots need to come together against this as it targets both parties. The FAA is saying 'No FPV at all' and 'You can't be paid to fly RC aircraft at all'.

That's as much a target on the pros like heli pilot Bert Kammerer and plane pilot Joe Smith for example as it is to anyone who partakes in casual FPV flying, and both sides can interact quite heavily as FPV can be and is used to capture great aerial shots of those very 3D pilots who're paid to fly, fly.

Does anyone else agree?

Yes. Me.

That also includes Flitetest.
Everything they are doing is now considered "illegal".

They use model aircrafts for a monetary purpose.

C_E

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
AMA Responds to FAA!

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/F...retiveRule.pdf

AS much as I hate to say it, at present and with limited time to act, joining the AMA may be the best thing everyone can do to oppose the FAA.

Man that leaves a very bad taste but like elections usually you have to vote for the lesser of 2 evils! :p

Thurmond

Thank you for sharing.
The AMA is all we have at this point and we NEED to stick together to win this.

C_E