FAA Drone Registration goes live

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Make no mistake about it folks now they want registration BUT their sights are on a much more strict plan for the future. When planes were first required to be registered many crashed due to poor, incorrect, no or little maintenance. Eventually this lead to only certified mechanics could work on "aircraft". We build now but when enough data is collected our build it yourself days will be over without an Experimental Aircraft permit and a certified mechanic. The systems will be specified and certified and will only be available from certified aircraft parts vendors to those with the proper credentials to purchase and use these parts.

@cranial Sir I perceive you are a fellow Patriot.

The Sheep have forgotten or never understood the definition of a Republic and that the USA IS A REPUBLIC not a democracy although it uses certain democratic processes. Let me simplify with a story showing the difference in the two.

In a Democracy there are 99 Ravenous Wolves and 1 sheep.
A vote comes up as what to have for lunch.
As you might guess the vote is 99 to 1 against the sheep and the sheep is killed and served for lunch.

Same situation in a REPUBLIC! The vote of course is the same with one major difference.
The sheep makes a speech. Gentlemen Wolves.....I fully support the decision and vote made today to have sheep for lunch.
Gentlemen since this is a REPUBLIC and since a Republic recognizes individual rights are supreme I will EVEN help you kill and cook your lunch BUT IT WILL NOT BE ME!

Democracy IS MOB RULE! Get it, got it, Good. The news media has brainwashed the sheeple into believing the USA is a Democracy and it IS Currently under mob rule as a result of ignorance and apathy.

You see in a Republic the majority can decide something and agree to observe it BUT they cannot force their view or regulation on me without my approval.

In a Democracy the vote wins and you are forced to bow to the "Mob's Rule"!

Thurmond

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
If you take my words that way it's up to you. You are making something out of nothing. Torches and pitch forks is a commonly used term.

As far as chiding sure if you want to see it that way. I am here merely sharing my thoughts. If you are not a fan of them well don't know what to tell you.

But others are here, if only a few will go with the system and not become more of the issue. Now if down the road some body over turns the FAA rules great. If not I know I can still enjoy my hobby with worry of being harassed and or fined or imprisoned. Be part of a real solution not some Internet commando. And I hope Internet command does not offend you.

And I did not cast anyone as hicks or anything to that effect. That is you just picking apart what I said and twisting them.

Being part of the solution is the point.

Section 336 of the modernization act already overturns the FAA rule.

"Torches and pitchforks and patriot" are commonly used as straw man arguments to denigrate an opponent. Your use of them hides your thoughts or reveals them depending on how I read them. It muddies your argument.

If you wish to enjoy your hobby without worry of being harassed and or fined or imprisoned, I suggest that paying your potential jailer is not a very productive solution.

The law is clear. The FAA is violating it.

The real solution is to come together and fight this with education and reason. Violence, commando actions, pitchforks are the tools of the enemy, in this case the FAA. It is not we who are threatening violence. It is not I whom you should worry about harassing you or fining you or imprisoning you. Only the FAA has made these threats.

Real solutions to violence are not violent. Real solutions require reason not force. Real solutions 'derive their powers from the consent of the governed'.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Swore a oath, most likely same oath as mine. But I guess since my points of views are viewed as attacks or something foolish.

I'll ask a mod to remove my posts and delete my account. Since this is a one sided place that can't see beyond the narrow vision they have. I have no place here.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you all. Fly safe.

Please don't. I don't find your posts offensive and I enjoy a good debate.

You can't be part of the solution if you leave and we need everyone.

Communication is a two way street. I cannot debate you if I cannot learn from you. I am willing to hear your arguments and encourage you to make them.

If you feel attacked by me, point it out. I am open to PM and dialog and hate to see anyone bullied out of the conversation.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Make no mistake about it folks now they want registration BUT their sights are on a much more strict plan for the future. When planes were first required to be registered many crashed due to poor, incorrect, no or little maintenance. Eventually this lead to only certified mechanics could work on "aircraft". We build now but when enough data is collected our build it yourself days will be over without an Experimental Aircraft permit and a certified mechanic. The systems will be specified and certified and will only be available from certified aircraft parts vendors to those with the proper credentials to purchase and use these parts.

@cranial Sir I perceive you are a fellow Patriot.

The Sheep have forgotten or never understood the definition of a Republic and that the USA IS A REPUBLIC not a democracy although it uses certain democratic processes. Let me simplify with a story showing the difference in the two.

In a Democracy there are 99 Ravenous Wolves and 1 sheep.
A vote comes up as what to have for lunch.
As you might guess the vote is 99 to 1 against the sheep and the sheep is killed and served for lunch.

Same situation in a REPUBLIC! The vote of course is the same with one major difference.
The sheep makes a speech. Gentlemen Wolves.....I fully support the decision and vote made today to have sheep for lunch.
Gentlemen since this is a REPUBLIC and since a Republic recognizes individual rights are supreme I will EVEN help you kill and cook your lunch BUT IT WILL NOT BE ME!

Democracy IS MOB RULE! Get it, got it, Good. The news media has brainwashed the sheeple into believing the USA is a Democracy and it IS Currently under mob rule as a result of ignorance and apathy.

You see in a Republic the majority can decide something and agree to observe it BUT they cannot force their view or regulation on me without my approval.

In a Democracy the vote wins and you are forced to bow to the "Mob's Rule"!

Thurmond

Pretty solid definition.

I do like the clause in the King's speech when he defines Nazi rule.

"We have been forced into a conflict, for we are called, with our allies, to meet the challenge of a principle which, if it were to prevail, would be fatal to any civilized order in the world.

It is a principle which permits a state, in the selfish pursuit of power, to disregard its treaties and its solemn pledges, which sanctions the use of force or threat of force against the sovereignty and independence of other states.

Such a principle, stripped of all disguise, is surely the mere primitive doctrine that might is right, and if this principle were established through the world, the freedom of our own country and of the whole British Commonwealth of nations would be in danger."

Here for your perusal are the 25 points of the Nazi regime. This was their declaration of independence.
http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/riseofhitler/25points.htm

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I see that lynxaz has left us. :(

Such division is the point of the FAAs potentially illegal actions. If not for the pressure and chilling impact of the potentially illegal threat of prosecution by the FAA this may never have happened.

I don't think the FAA ever intended to win this round. Getting people to leave the hobby and to break up our community IS the intent here. The bad FAA web site leaking information helps them by convincing more people to just quit and stay away from the hobby.

We need to stick together. We need everyone who loves to fly.

Stick together. Call your representatives.

Remember, just because you crash doesn't mean you fail. You only fail when you quit.

MrClean

I would have settled for an "I'm sorry I didn't mean to convey that". Perhaps when he cools out he'll return. Most of the folks here are raising valid concerns and being told, it's only 5 bucks, you're information is already out there, your kids have every little part of their lives out on facebook anyways and finally if you're opposed to this you're over-reacting and looking for your pitchfork is not the way to form cohesion and edumicate folks.

With any luck the AMA and our efforts with congressfolk will re-write this little proposal and we can go on unified. It would help the AMA a whole bunch if they could prove their value to the non registered flying public. The AMA is there to help organize contests and represent us to the CAI. Most of the folks here, most folks in general do not compete. Sport flying ARFS or RTF's is king now. For the AMA to exist they need to serve a purpose. This very well may be it.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Internet drama is completely pointless. No one person's opinion is better than another's. My opinion is I am completely against it and have decided not to register. I will fly heavier models until it is no longer legal to. Then continue to fly models under the weight limit. Others have chosen to register even though they are against it. Some even register and are for it. The great thing about America is we have the freedom to choose. That is why there are those that are so passionate to defend our freedoms. Whether it is through military service or as simple as through ideals portrayed over an internet forum post.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I am not going to apologize, nor go back on what i said at all. You are the one that read into a comment and took it some where else. I deiced to remove my self from this discussion before others get upset at someone else's views. Your whole last comment on your first paragraph is just well...never mind whats the point.

NOTE: delete threads is annoying, fun to go over what you said. But annoying.

I think when you had the comments deleted you effectively went back on what you said. If others had not quoted you, your words would have been lost and 'backed out of the conversation'.

I think the argument that registering with the FAA is obeying the law has been lost by the FAA and anyone who tried it. The only argument I have seen since is to just obey because it is easier than standing up for yourself.

Most hobbyists who fly aren't quitters. We build, we fly, we crash, we repeat. Quitters who buy a drone and crash it won't move on to building their own. They will go back to their video games where they can win every time.

Hobbyists who understand that what we build is VERY temporary aren't quitters. We can (and I am speaking of myself here) take a LONG time to learn, but we do learn because we don't quit.

We all crash. I for one am glad to see that you did not quit. :)

might make a better one, but i just had to do this...

ej5CoqF.png

ou're information is already out there, your kids have every little part of their lives out on facebook anyways and finally if you're opposed to this you're over-reacting and looking for your pitchfork is not the way to form cohesion and edumicate folks.

here's the problem...

some of us... who aren't on twitfacetagram, who don't even have shopper loyalty cards, value our privacy...

but even those of you who aren't as proactive in defending your privacy, even if you've already plastered yourself all over social media's multiple narcissistic shrines... there is still no direct link for your neighbors to find out you have an evil drone...

to publish a list of people who own the very thing the FAA and the media have been vilifying for the last 3 or 4 years is crazy irresponsible. you are forcing people to choose between remaining anonymous and facing almost 30 grand in fines and jail time... or... subjecting yourself to possible theft, harassment, and legal trouble from insane overzealous neighbors and the thugs-in-uniform they sick on you.

today, i can fly my RC aircraft without having to worry about either... once this regulation takes effect (if it doesn't get thrown out for being illegal, which it clearly is) i no longer have that freedom/liberty.

isn't it only natural for someone who looses a freedom/liberty to be upset when it's stolen from them?

i mean, to not be upset about this... to just roll over and take it in the shorts... it kinda says a lot about a person.

MrClean

Octo said "here's the problem...," end quote for brevity, read the above post for the whole thing.

Your point is what I was trying to show with my cut and pasting of another's posts. It is leaving it look like I don't care about the above items when what I was trying to show was that when they were brought up a member was poo-pooing them. (that may be the wrong spelling for this particular poo poo)

They are valid concerns in my opinion and in many peoples including yours. If they were not, Lifelock wouldn't have a business. Another response was that "as an FCC member, I already have my information out in a public database". That is fine, it was a decision he made. Not one that was made for him by people who did not have the authority and who also tried to get everyone to sign up quickly. They'll take your credit card and after the initial sign up period they will return your 5 dollars. So your credit card number is on file with them as well, hmmmm? Well I trust that's safe.

Is it too far out of the 90's to say "NOT" after a sentence. I don't like it, I don't like it one little bit. File for a federal number? I already have a number on my airplanes, get in touch with the AMA if you need to contact me about my plane.

I apologize that my cut and pasting of comments was easily misconstrued as me agreeing with the flippant remarks minimizing these common concerns. It was my intent to show pattern in them not agree with them. I hope my analysis was completely wrong.

Last edited:
Octo said "here's the problem...," end quote for brevity, read the above post for the whole thing.

Your point is what I was trying to show with my cut and pasting of another's posts. It is leaving it look like I don't care about the above items when what I was trying to show was that when they were brought up a member was poo-pooing them. (that may be the wrong spelling for this particular poo poo)

They are valid concerns in my opinion and in many peoples including yours. If they were not, Lifelock wouldn't have a business. Another response was that "as an FCC member, I already have my information out in a public database". That is fine, it was a decision he made. Not one that was made for him by people who did not have the authority and who also tried to get everyone to sign up quickly. They'll take your credit card and after the initial sign up period they will return your 5 dollars. So your credit card number is on file with them as well, hmmmm? Well I trust that's safe.

Is it too far out of the 90's to say "NOT" after a sentence. I don't like it, I don't like it one little bit. File for a federal number? I already have a number on my airplanes, get in touch with the AMA if you need to contact me about my plane.

I apologize that my cut and pasting of comments was easily misconstrued as me agreeing with the flippant remarks minimizing these common concerns. It was my intent to show pattern in them not agree with them. I hope my analysis was completely wrong.

thanks for clarifying... tbh i'm in "a mood" sorta looking for people to jump on spouting the sort of stuff you and i agree is absurd...

so i just made a snap judgement...

glad we agree.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think this is just my opinion, based on educated guesses. The folks who implemented this obviously didn't consider privacy issues in the fullest. Software people rarely do. I work in identity management, so it's part of my job to do this, and it constantly shocks me how there's a lack of awareness on privacy issues.

As I see it, someone said "it'd be great to make this database searchable so that people can return lost drones" whereby a programmer said "ok, I'll make it happen"

Well, the easiest way to do this, is just put up a form that says "enter registration number" which will perform a database search, and simply display the results with probably email, telephone number, and name.

It's more work/comlexity to do the following options:

* Allow registrants to select what information is released on those queries and to opt-in/out.
* Setup a notification system whereby if someone enters a registration number, they can input their contact details (which has the added complication of being a release of the "finders" private information) and forward that to the drone owner
* Act as a broker between both parties, keeping both anonymous like Craigslist allows. This still means the FAA and the contractor still has information on both parties

Anyway, that simple "feature" of "letting people return lost drones" is the root of this privacy issue.

Oh, BTW, while I work in IT privacy/security, and have been in this field for a long time, I'm not particularly protective of my private information as I have my FCC callsign posted in the signature, my AMA number with name, phone number, email and address stuck on labels on all my planes and multirotors.

I've had strangers find a lost versa wing, call me, and I've recovered it. All the electronics from that are still in a newer versa wing build that I fly regularly.

Last edited:

tictocdoc

"Feature?"

I agree that this "feature" could be used to return lost aircraft were it not for the Q&A in the FAA FAQ: (not quoted verbatim) Q: What do I do if I find a "drone" crashed in my backyard? A: Call local law enforcement........Really? Why not "look for the AMA registration information clearly displayed on the "drone", contact the owner and arrange the return of the property to its owner". No, they want the LEO's involved in something that might have previously been resolved between 2 adults with an apology.