A Letter from the AMA

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations. Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council

Bob Brown, AMA President
Gary Fitch, AMA Executive Vice President
Andy Argenio, AMA Vice President, District I
Eric Williams, AMA Vice President, District II
Mark Radcliff, AMA Vice President, District III
Jay Marsh, AMA Vice President, District IV
Kris Dixon, AMA Vice President, District V
Randy Cameron, AMA Vice President, District VI
Tim Jesky, AMA Vice President, District VII
Mark Johnston, AMA Vice President, District VIII
Jim Tiller, AMA Vice President, District IX
Lawrence Tougas, AMA Vice President, District X
Chuck Bower, AMA Vice President, District XI

Pancho

You should write them a letter and ask them what you asked in the other thread. Let us know their response.

In any case, my question is this:

Why is everyone so upset about this new regulation? I know that it's ineffective, but so what? Can't we just make peace and pay the $5 (that will be refunded if we pay before a certain date)? Why not pity the FAA for their lack of common sense?

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
You should write them a letter and ask them what you asked in the other thread. Let us know their response.

It's not nice to pick on people. He did retract that after several people pointed out flaws in the petition. We aren't all lawyers.

RAM

My problem with the AMA is that it does not reach out to non-members. The only people who will read this statement are current members and of course all of us who are FliteTest fans and use this forum. I can understand why the FAA wants to marginalize them, they just don't have the reach.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
My problem with the FAA is that it does not reach out to non-members. The only people who will read this statement are current members and of course all of us who are FliteTest fans and use this forum. I can understand why the FAA wants to marginalize them, they just don't have the reach.

That's the problem with the AMA to the core!

They do NOT reach out to new members. And if you go to their Facebook page, their current members are pushing to ban "drones" from being included in the AMA. Sorry, but the future is these automated flying devices. That's where the tech is going, that's where the draw to new pilots is. That's where the AMA should be fishing for new members.

Also, the AMA really should take a lesson (or two) from the NRA. The NRA fights for all gun owner's rights, not just NRA members. Also, you never hear anti drone people complaining about the AMA the way that anti gun people complain about the NRA. When they do, then I'll have faith that the AMA is fighting for me.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Why all the negitivity on the AMA? They are the only ones actualy fighting. I would say its the SOME individuals opinions not ama that you are against.

RAM

Why all the negitivity on the AMA? They are the only ones actualy fighting. I would say its the SOME individuals opinions not ama that you are against.

I should have said it better. I think the AMA is a good orginization. My problem with them is their lack of outreach. If you are not already a member, you are completely in the dark regarding their activities. If they really wanted to help they would offer a free 6 month AMA membership (lacking the insurance) with every purchase. They risk nothing financially by doing this but it would require vendors to be on board with it. If they did this, everyone buying a "drone" would be made aware of their existence and have the opportunity to learn safety rules. I've been to several hobby shops and not once did anyone mention the AMA. Make it a free 6 month membership and you would really help the situation. You may not get 100% membership renewal but you would get some on board. At the very least you would introduce safety and courtesy concerns to all these new pilots.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I guess times have changed when i worked at a hobby shop in the 90s every new pilot we told them about AMA and the local clubs. They seem to focus on youth out reach instead of adult. They go to fly ins now and so on which wasent the case as far as i know in the 90s. What i like currently is their youth membership. When I was a teen youth cost me 25$. Now its free i was verry happy for that with my daughter.. So they have improved over the years from what im observing but not sure they are doing a good job at keeping up with todays changing world comunication wise.. Your right thats part of the problem. For the 6 months thing there still would have to be liability so you can fly at clubs. Most clubs need it for every member as a condition on keeping their lease on the land. That is part of the reason for it.. Over all its a good organization.. Might be the fact that i was here in the old days and now am back after a long break not sure. Stuff has drasticly changed from when i stoped flying in 2003 origionaly

Last edited:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
The way I read it... they only want the FAA to exclude AMA members from registration. I'm sure that's a great deal for them if they push through. Either join the AMA or you have to register with the federal government. I choose....neither!

The NRA fights the BATF continually for the right to keep and bear arms for everyone! Not just for members of the NRA! This is the AMA's attempt at cashing in on the drone money cow by trying to get a bunch of new members that don't want to register with the FAA.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The AMA is fighting the FAA criminals, but not to the extent that we (multirotor, and fixed wing pilots alike) would like them to. I doubt that the AMA will go up to bat for the new scary drones, but that's where we need to step in. The AMA is a more traditional organisation with a more traditional collection of members who are not always "in" with the new technology. However, MRs are the way of the future, along with FPV. It's going to be our job to fight for our right to fly. I don't think the AMA is going to be much help in this case, but in the off chance that some members ARE willing to fight for ALL unmanned aircraft, it'll be goo to have some allies.

fc,550x550,brown.jpg

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I think you misunderstood... The way I read it, they aren't fighting it. They are trying to negotiate an exemption for members of the AMA. Because the AMA recommends you put your AMA number inside the aircraft anyway it is like registering already. In other words if you aren't a member of AMA too bad for you.

The AMA has rolled over in submission and whimpering in hopes the FAA doesn't tear into their belly and disembowel the RC community completely.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
So it's basically going to be all up to us then.

Very well, let's get cracking. What are we going to need?
Support from fellow hobbyists. Check
Support from FRIGGEN CONGRESS Check
a way to make the FAA actually listen not so check

What we have to do is ADVOCATE FOR THE HOBBY. Don't sit back and take it like the AMA did and ask for an exemption, disobey, shove it back down their throats, make the FAA look like the embarrassment that it is. Keep bringing the facts to the table and DESTROY the FAA's and anti-drone people's arguments.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
So it's basically going to be all up to us then.

Very well, let's get cracking. What are we going to need?
Support from fellow hobbyists. Check
Support from FRIGGEN CONGRESS Check
a way to make the FAA actually listen not so check

What we have to do is ADVOCATE FOR THE HOBBY. Don't sit back and take it like the AMA did and ask for an exemption, disobey, shove it back down their throats, make the FAA look like the embarrassment that it is. Keep bringing the facts to the table and DESTROY the FAA's and anti-drone people's arguments.

Agreed!

I've signed a couple change.org petitions, put in comments when the FAA was ignoring... I mean taking them, and now I'm going to write my congressman to attempt to get my voice heard. I'm also going to continue to fly legally without participating in the registration hence the change in my signature. If everyone makes their voices heard and be a good ambassador for the hobby this registration monster should die very soon.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Let's start a hash tag for twitter and facebook users to use when promoting safe flying without the FAA's interference,

I propose #flyfree

krinaman

I guess times have changed when i worked at a hobby shop in the 90s every new pilot we told them about AMA and the local clubs.

Yep, our LHS won't even mention it to new customers. If someone asks you are told it's nothing you really need. Sadly their most knowledgeable employee hates the AMA and clubs so he discourages both to new customers.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Yep, our LHS won't even mention it to new customers. If someone asks you are told it's nothing you really need. Sadly their most knowledgeable employee hates the AMA and clubs so he discourages both to new customers.

Thats sad the club was the best thing that happend to me when i started. Its basicly like a smaller flyin every weekend if you have an active membership. Also flying by my self is boring lol.. I was with a good club i guess fayette flyers . They are the ones who created and host SEFF some of you may know of. I went to the first SEFF in 2003 it was big for us but small in comparison. Unfortunutly that year we lost our field to developers. I just emailed the local club here i was considering joining to see of they accept park pilot ama because all my current aircraft fit under its umbrella..

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I called the local club i was excited to know that they welcome fpv just as long as you have a spoter and if to many aircraft get in the air if course judge if its safe to fly with thst many. They are electric frendly and people fly stuff at diffrent sizes.. Only thing is i need full ama not park flyer but to me im stilll excited. For those who have never flown at a club the fellowship is as good if better than the flying. I highly recomend visiting a club if you dont have a chance. I hope ama gets all this sorted im sure as hell not registering with the faa unless there is no other option..

Last edited:

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
So join the AMA for some high amount and be a full member. And pay another high price to fly at some field in BFE. Or pay 5 bucks and fly safely everywhere else that is allowed....not a hard choice.

And let the FAA give out your personal info to the public.. I know clubs are expensive but i have some very fond enjoyable memories from my old club when I was a teen. I look forward to joining the new club with my daughter.. Flying by your self is boring also.. I am not a fan that ama raised there dew's i think 12$ it was i think 58$ now its 70$. Also note around me its hard to find places to fly that are not illegal to fly at.

Last edited:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Your info may be public. But mine is not. It's not like the government doesn't know who or where I am already... they do. I just don't want every other freakin person in the world to know who I am and where I live.

It would be no different than the DOT coming out and saying anything with wheels, can sustain momentum, and touches the ground now need to be registered like a car. RC cars, bicycles, wagons, etc. Anything with wheels can fit that description. This FAA registration will solve absolutely nothing. It will never solve anything. It will only create problems.