Failsafe failure

Heath

I use a Flip 1.5 controller on my quad. After building it, of the first thing I decided I had to do was set up failsafe. I was afraid of my Turnigy 9x radio failing or losing signal and it just flying away. So enabled the failsafe so if it lost signal, 3 seconds later it would set the motors to "minimum throttle" plus 200 for 20 seconds then shut off. I tested this with no props on and it seemed to work fine.

On my first day to fly it after configuring the failsafe, I landed the quad and, for a reason I don't remember now, I turned off the transmitter and set it down. I had forgotten to disarm. Three seconds later, the motors spun up and I learned that "minimum throttle + 200" was enough to not make the quad come down easy, but to go UP. And at a nice pace too. In my newbie panic, unfamiliar with the transmitter, I fumbled with it to get it back in my hand, fumbled to turn it back on, fumbled with it to try to clear the "switch error" that plagues the Turnigy 9x if all the switches aren't in the proper position when you turn it on. At some point, I realized my fight with the transmitter was pointless and I just watched the quad as it flew higher into the air, drifting from the grassy area I was in to move over a parking lot, cut power to the motors, then gracefully roll upside down as it fell back to earth to slam onto the parking lot pavement.

With a sickening feeling, I went to retrieve it, just glad it hadn't landed on a car or hit somebody. Fortunately, damage was minimal. Some broken zip ties, a bent motor mount, and a couple dinged up propeller nuts. I had to recalibrate an ESC (I thought I had damaged it until I tried recalibrating on a whim and it worked again), but that was about it!

I disabled failsafe.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Failsafe is not a bad idea but it needs to be a safe failure mode. Set up the failsafe at a lower throttle setting and test it while the copter is tethered to prevent further damage to the copter and/or flyaways. Just make sure the setting allows the copter to descend rather than climb...

Heath

It was definitely a learning experience! I've made a few changes (as well as become more familiar with everything) since then. One of the changes I made was to disable "motor stop" in MultiWii. Now, if the copter is armed, the motors are spinning at minimum throttle. And I have that minimum throttle variable set to the lowest I could get it and still turn the motors. Now, I never forget to disarm. I think I'm ready to experiment with failsafe now.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
We all have these little "learning experiences". Just glad it worked out and as always, let us know if we can help out in any way, or if you just feel like sharing more "lessons"! ;)