Issues with FlightTest RemoteID module

LitterBug

Techno Nut
OK, I can verify that my Matek ELRS RX exhibits similar behavior. I just needed to make the testing environment harsher.

That said, I do not have any other RID modules to test with to see if it is a more Generic RID issue for units on the 2.4ghz bluetooth band, or specific to the FT unit. I will reach out to a flying buddy who had ordered the drontag BS module to see if he has recieved it yet.

I am still ground testing, since I really don't want to fly with a plausibly unsafe setup.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So I was able to borrow a Dronetag BS module from @Captain Video . I got the same results testing ELRS around it. So this isn't so much of an issue specifically with the FT EZID as it is with RID on 2.4ghz in general.

Last edited:

Thomas B

This is interesting. I know for a fact that certain RID modules were extensively tested for interference with 2.4 radio control systems, but I have no idea how much the new RID units were tested with ELRS systems. Does anyone know?

From m my perspective, this is not going to be an issue for me as I do not fly ELRS. I am strictly a line of sight RC aircraft flyer.

I do plan on testing my Dronetag BS unit soon, including quality of control signal telemetry with my Spektrum radio.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Depending on the plane I've put mine close to the rx and far away and (so far) no problems. Your experience is going to make me more conscious of where I put it.
I had an "interesting" experience flying my QED with the FT EZ-ID close to the Rx. When the plane got to it's highest and farthest point I lost the ability to bank left and when I got it closer to me it flew fine. I'd just replaced a Lemon Rx with a Spektrum AR620. Weird. The next step is to disconnect the rid and try it again. Here's a pic of the Rx and rid.

IMG_4817.JPG

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I had an "interesting" experience flying my QED
Follow up -
Short story: Not an EZ-ID problem
Long story: A perfect day to fly with no wind to speak of so I disconnected the EZ-ID and had the same problem, hard to turn left. This time it was intermittent and didn't seem to be affected by distance. Changed Rx's and as I was preflighting saw the left aileron stick down about half throw. I kept working the stick and it started moving after a few seconds. So... bad servo not related to EZ-ID. If I'd crashed the first time it happened I'd still be blaming it on the RID but it was just coincidental that the servo went bad on the same flight that I used the EZ-ID on the plane for the first time.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have updated from OpenTX(2.3.14/15) to EdgeTX(2.9.2) and applied all the latest ELRS (3.3.1) patches to the external module and RXes. Initial testing does not show any issues with the Dronetag BS and ELRS. Will have to dig my EZ-ID out and re-test with it as well. Could very well have been an issue which was resolved by an ELRS or EdgeTX patch. Will do more testing as time permits.

LB