Issues with FlightTest RemoteID module

TomAlperin

Today I just encountered an issue with the FlightTest RemoteID module. It was interfering with my ELRS system causing near failsafe conditions right in front of me. I was able to test by removing different things that might interfere, like a GoPro that runs WiFi and Bluetooth and confirmed that it is the RID module causing signal issues. This is not the first time I have used this module. The previous flights did not have this issue. The only difference between today’s flight and the others that I can think of was the temperature. It was warmer out today

Piotrsko

Master member
The the test for the warmer caused issues would place it in the direct sun for a while and see if the issue returned. I myself think it was a wire routing/ location caused problem since you probably install and remove equipment often.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What version of ELRS are you running on the TX module, the RX module, and what power are you running?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Today I just encountered an issue with the FlightTest RemoteID module. It was interfering with my ELRS system causing near failsafe conditions right in front of me. I was able to test by removing different things that might interfere, like a GoPro that runs WiFi and Bluetooth and confirmed that it is the RID module causing signal issues. This is not the first time I have used this module. The previous flights did not have this issue. The only difference between today’s flight and the others that I can think of was the temperature. It was warmer out today
Similar what HDZero goggles experience when too close to Crossfire transmitter - in that case, Mads Tech recommended wrapping cable around ferrite.

Distance also makes a difference with RFI.

TomAlperin

The the test for the warmer caused issues would place it in the direct sun for a while and see if the issue returned. I myself think it was a wire routing/ location caused problem since you probably install and remove equipment often.
I am pretty consistent with the wire routing. The module goes on top of the battery and is held on with the second battery strap. The module is in the FT 3D printed case. Extra wire is routed next to the case, under the strap. Do it this way each time.

TomAlperin

What version of ELRS are you running on the TX module, the RX module, and what power are you running?
I believe I have everything on 3.2. I am using dynamic power. The internal module I have is limited to 250mW but when that had issues, I tried an external module that does 1W. I have TX power set to display in OSD and could see the power going up to 1W. I use a packet rate of 150 with wide channels.

TomAlperin

The thing is that it’s clearly the RemoteID module causing the issue. It’s about as far as I can get it away from the antenna. Someone mounting it In a 3D printed mount like you would mount just a GPS module is probably going to have even worse issues.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have a Matek ELRS PWM Rx that I can throw in a plane and test with a FT EZ ID.

Mostly been bench testing ELRS up to this point.

I've only flown the EZID with Spektrum so far.
IMG_20231008_182808490.jpg

Can bench test tonight with this setup and some RadioMaster RP1&2 serial rxes. Will field test the Matek PWM RX at the field tomorrow.
Have a Radiomaster TX external module in a TX16S. Everything is on 3.3

Last edited:

TomAlperin

I have a Matek ELRS PWM Rx that I can throw in a plane and test with a FT EZ ID.

Mostly been bench testing ELRS up to this point.

I've only flown the EZID with Spektrum so far.
View attachment 240386
Can bench test tonight with this setup and some RadioMaster RP1&2 serial rxes. Will field test the Matek PWM RX at the field tomorrow.
Have a Radiomaster TX external module in a TX16S. Everything is on 3.3
What. I find confusing is first few flights worked fine. I ran a GoPro for the first time on this build and assumed that was the issue but testing showed that it was the RID module.

Just checked and I am on 3.3.0 on everything.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So far, no issues on the bench.

I would take a look to make sure the antennas on your TX and RX are not loose or damaged.

TomAlperin

So far, no issues on the bench.

I would take a look to make sure the antennas on your TX and RX are not loose or damaged.
The build is new and has not been crashed plus there’s the fact that testing without the remote is module had no issues. I flew today and didn’t have the same problem but I twisted the power lines to the module to see if that would make a difference.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Depending on the plane I've put mine close to the rx and far away and (so far) no problems. Your experience is going to make me more conscious of where I put it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Do you have and app on your phone for detecting Remote ID and did you check to see if it was reporting correctly while the issue was happening?

TomAlperin

Do you have and app on your phone for detecting Remote ID and did you check to see if it was reporting correctly while the issue was happening?
I didn’t bring my phone with me that day. Flew today and did not have the same issue but was able to verify that it always has at least some negative effect on ELRS signal. Anyone wanting to test this, set ELRS to use dynamic power and set at least LQ and TX power to display in OSD. You will need to have wide channels set for TX power to display. I found that with the module connected, SNR bounced up and down, LQ was lower and a noticeably higherTX power was needed for the same distance in the same area with it bouncing up and down.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What TX and RX ELRS modules are you using? How far away are you flying when you notice issues?

I am using telemetry to view stats on my radio rather than FPV/OSD. I could switch my Nano Goblin from R9 to ELRS for a FPV platform.

Last edited:

TomAlperin

What TX and RX ELRS modules are you using? How far away are you flying when you notice issues?

I am using telemetry to view stats on my radio rather than FPV/OSD. I could switch my Nano Goblin from R9 to ELRS for a FPV platform.
I fly with a Radiomaster TX16s MK II using the built in ELRS module. When I started having issues, I switched to the RadioMaster external module. The receiver I am using is the AxisFlying receiver which is supposed to be one od the better receivers for staying on the right frequency with temperature changes. I have noticed that more receivers are coming out that may hold the correct frequency a littl better but do not think that is the issue. You could have someone watch the telemetry stats while flying. Shouldn’t matter where they are viewed from.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Part of me has been holding off on ELRS to replace my R9 gear because of the possibility of more congestion/interference on the 2.4ghz band. I wish Radiomaster had some 900mhz gear. I picked up one of the Radiomaster ELRS bundles with the external Ranger TX and 3 serial RXes (2xRP1 and 1xRP2) I like ELRS since there is no goofy inversion on the TX/RX pins used with the flight controller. The signal inversion is the biggest drawback with the Frsky R9 gear.

I set the Matek PWM RX Model up with variable power. Going to put it in a Surfer 2000. The ground testing I did didn't show anything from across the field. I'll get it in the air today, and work on swapping the R9 out on my INAV Nano Goblin as well.

Last edited: