FC board dampening techniques for multirotors?

jeffro

newb here... just looking into how necessary or if it is necessary to dampen your flight control board to your multicopter frame?

planning a new build (and trying to learn as much as possible).

What are some of the better techniques for a dampened FC board mount? I've seen fuel line spacers, velcro, rubber tape, etc... curious as to what else is out there that works really well?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
NEVER "Dampen" your board. They do badly when wet! :p

Now "Damping" your board to reduce vibrations transmitted to it is a good thing!
How much is needed depends on what the frame is made of and how the frame, motors and board are mounted.

I use 3M double sided gray foam tape (usually up to 6 layers) to mount my boards and this usually provides a goodly amount of damping unless the props are badly balanced.

Another method I have used is mounting the board on "spots" of hot glue at 3 points.

Yet another is to mount the board on plastic standoffs.

Some frames have what is refered to as a "clean plate" which is an entire damped deck which is good for camera and flight controller mounting.

Some use throw away foam earplugs for these damping functions.

One last one used by some APM users is to suspend the board from each corner with an o-ring attached to a standoff at each corner.

Thurmond

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I use the foam shipping box and earplugs -- you know, the cheap yellow ones.

I typically mount the control board between the top and bottom plate like a sandwich, with a piece of the shipping box underneath and slices of the earplugs strategically positioned on the corners. tends to be a tight fit and pretty good shock mounting.