Finally time for some flying!

Aces_High

First plane all put together, done with work till next weekend, school work finished, first test/quiz aced...FINALLY I will be able to fly tomorrow! And the weather is supposed to be decent! It rained today but it's supposed to be sunny, with winds around 5mph, almost perfect! I cannot wait! :D

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Record it! Remember, when in doubt, up elevator! Get as high as you can without loosing orientation.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
altitude is your friend; dont fall in the trap of: "ill fly low, so ill be safer if i crash" you can correct wrong inputs if you are high enough ...

dont fly low ! stay up, come down only to land !

Aces_High

Well, the forcast said clear skies, but it was overcast all day. I finally got out there, and just as I got the plane up it started raining, so I flew around for a few minutes then left. Had one crash, need to repair some things, nothing major and nothing that affects the operation of the plane really. I didn't see it before I landed but there was a peg in the ground and it tore a small gash down the bottom of the plane. It ripped the hatch for the battery cover off. I have it temporarily fixed with some packing tape. Anyone recommend a type of glue to more permanently attach it? I have a few different types here as I make models on the side. I was thinking some sort of super glue would work, but I don't want to try anything till I hear from someone with more experience, so I don't dissolve the plane in half lol.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
You'll want to do a test on some foam before going nuts but...
The Z Foam used in the HZ planes is very tolerant.
Medium ca will work. Epoxy will work. Neither of these are very flexible so I prefer not to use them
Hot glue works fine as long as you are careful not to melt the foam.
Goop (any flavor) works really well.
White Gorilla Glue works really well but it can be a pain to work with
Most of my repairs get done with hot glue simply because I lack the attention span and or patience to let the other glues cure properly :)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
super glue, foam safe CA, or gorilla glue all work.
Z Foam does not require foam safe, on some HZ planes like the supercub, the z foam is fine with regular CA but parts like the tail will melt away...
If you use foam safe ca get some kicker to use with it. Otherwise it's like putting stuff together with maple syrup and cures very slowly

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I also lack patience for long......look a squirrel.......anyway......where was I? Oh yeah, foam safe CA works wonder with a little spray activator. I use it all the time but it's not flexible afterwards. If you need a precise high strength joint I only use foam safe ca. I say foam safe so you don't have to remember which parts are okay to use it and make a mistake late at night. Gorilla is a pain in the butt but it's much more flexible and fills gaps as it expands but it can leave air pockets as it expands as well. Hot glue is great but it's heavy and really easy to use too much, plus you can melt the parts you are trying to repair. There's low temp stuff that's better for foam.
I love activator for all types of CA and one activator works for all types of CA and even some other glues.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm a big hot glue fan. It is easy to use too much, but it's easy to learn to use just enough. I got myself a 12V hot glue gun from Hobbyking that I now use for just about every in-field repair. The only thing it can't be used on is metal bits, like screws and motor mounts, that heat up during flight (due to ESC or motor heat).

If you go down the route of ca, be careful of the kicker - it's highly addictive!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Sweet, I've been thinking about getting one of the 12v hot glue guns. What battery do you use with it and how much can you use it on a charge? Did you put a low voltage alarm in with it?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I just chuck on whichever 3s I pull out of the box first. With a fresh battery I don't bother with the low voltage alarm. The gun only draws a couple of Amps, so you could use it for a long time on a 2200. It'd be easy to forget it's on though, as the LED on the side of the gun doesn't work. The unit is a standard 120-230V glue gun with either a 12V heating element or a voltage booster - my guess is it's 12V heating element. It heats up really quickly and the nozzle design is really good for getting glue into tight gaps and smoothing surfaces. I've used mine a bit for repairing EPO hinges.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
hmmmmm 12v hot glue gun... Ninja likee
I'll have to try to locate one of those.
We sometimes bring our regular one to the field and use an inverter.
Works, but it would be nice to have a 12v one...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yes! Would be a lot more handy than to use the home unit with the inverter.
Plus all of my friends will be SO envious. Maybe even the cool kids will like me ;)