First Fpv race quad advice

Eric the red

Hi,
I have a Blade nano i`ve flown for a few months (in acro mode that is of course) and some 10+hrs on the Liftoff flight sim. I`ve already spent the original worth on motors. It`s flying in what i call the "Frankenstein Configuration" which is with motors from 3 different sets. Simulator time helped a lot, almost feels like i know what i`m doing now :cool:, still want to get 50+hrs on the sim (also because it`s fun) and fly the nano till it dies (i hope that dam thing dies after i got another one) and/or i`m above my set goal of simulator time.

To sum this up, i`m thinking about getting a propper quad with fpv gear.
Since there seem to be as many ways as there are FPV Youtube channels, i`d like to ask you guys some questions, since you gave me the propper direction the last time.

1.Cheap or expensive
I mean i know i`m going to crash it and compared to what my local shop sells, banggood and hobbyKing seem like a more reasonable idea. They import via banggood anyway. I`ve also checked a local online portal (like e-bay) and they have people selling used ones of different quality. On the other side, quality products mean probably some more fun longtime

2.Build or BNF
I had the luck to get a DX6i for cheap a while back and i do not want to replace it. I´d like to build one, since i like challanges. On the other hand some of the quads available are so cheap it would be more expensive to build one, instead of getting a bnf sometimes even with a included transmitter. Also after being brainwashed for hrs on end on liftoff a vortex 250 shure looks nice.

3.FPV cammera and goggles
I`ve found used base rcv922 fat shark ones, not bought them. A new set is really expensive, so i`m thinking about the Quantum V2 or the Banggood DIY ones. Are googles like fatshark teleporter v4s worth it?

4.Size
I know i`m probably talking ignorant nonsense right here, but i think i want a 180mm size, not over 250mm. I`d like to keep the total build sub 250g or at least as ligt as possible. I have reservations about our civil aviation board and therefore wouldn`t like to give them another shot at getting involved in one of my hobbys.

That`s it.
Pls share your thoughts.
thanks in advance

trevoof

1. Cheap or expensive - I suggest cheap for frame and buy the best you can afford for electronics. Banggood and Hobbyking do offer some good deals for electronics and frames, but I found that the shipping from banggood can sometimes take quite a while.

2. Build or BNF - Never had a BNF quad, but if you don't mind soldering, build should be a bit more affordable.

3. FPV camera - never had a fatshark, but I can tell you that I've been very happy with my Quanum V2.

4. Size - Sub 250g is quite difficult - 80g for the frame, 70g for the battery, 50g for motors, 50g for ESC, you are already at the limit without including other electronics, wiring and FPV gear. My research on the internet seem to indicate 210 frame with 5" props is the most popular size at the moment - 180 with 4" props doesn't quite give enough power, ecalc also seems to tell me you will get less flight-time.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Eric,

Build or buy is up to you -- it's actually quite hard to beat some of the lower-end BNF kits on the market for price -- but you won't get everything you've asked for if you go BNF.

There are a *FEW* sub-250g brushless quads on the market at BNF or PNF, but none are inexpensive. All are well under 250mm to make budget for the battery, and VERY hard to find a 5" compatible frame that flies AUW < 250g.

It's not impossible to build one up yourself for less, but I wouldn't call the project novice-friendly from the perspective of building. Solid soldering skills, patience and creative thinking are a must, even when following recommendations. I'm working though such a build at the moment (160 frame), and it's had it's challenges: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24857-Under-250-Under-250-Under-250!!!

As for the FS Base . . . I have a set and love 'em -- it's a solid upgrade from the quantum goggles, and better FoV than all but the best FS goggles, but you do need to add on a VRX. I did this by building it all into a hard-hat. Works well, but others might object to the bulk. In this, I'd recommend, try before you buy.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Craftydan you use the FS base goggles? How do you like them?

I been eyeing them as a first set to pair with my boscam monitor I use that has diversity outputs vs a stand alone set of goggles to save a little money. I really would like to get a set of the Skyzones with the front camera as I have migraine issues and fast changes from light to dark kill me. The FS base I am interested in as they are one of the few models that have IPD which is a must form me as any deviation from perfect alignment would disqualify use.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I like them very much. Big screen, works well. Other than it'll never be as compact as other FS setups, there's nothing else to complain about.

I've even setup a camera in the helmet that at the flip of a switch powers up and is connected as the main video feed. mounted it inside a short length of pool noodle and the whole setup looks like a minion head. Battery is strapped on one side, VRX on the other and a clip on the rear for my sunglasses.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cool. This is the FPV setup I run.. sadly it shows my Runner and not my Versa in the pic. I mounted the 7 inch boscam monitor on a boom cymbal stand and made a hood to block out all light that I can stick my face in then ran the wires for a dvr down the boom and used velcro to mount it and the battery to the stand and tie wrapped the wires nice n neat. With that stand I can sit at my picnic table get the monitor up over my head higher then a camera tripod and more stable base then use the base fpv goggles if that is the route I end up taking when spring comes.

Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit. At least it shows the OP what can be done with some creative thinking for FPV

Complete walkera FPV setup..jpg

Last edited:
I went with a cheap frame at first, (arris fpv 250) and loved it. Not I am upgrading/fixing my motors/ESC's and decided to get a pure carbon expensive frame (RMRC mudskipper), however, I got it because of the features and the lay out and not the pure carbon or the price(I almost did not get it because of the price). Whatever you do, check out readymaderc.com they have great stuff. I am by no means an expert, but I have done TONS of research, so please PM me and I'll try to help you through the confusing process. I can sudgest building because you learn the components more, but readymaderc has some nice looking pnp stuff too. Also, RMRC has a great support system and will answers any questions you might have. Like I said, please pm me, and I will try to pass on some hard acquired knowledge.
Leo